National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > A stronger Berliner Weiss?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
spatten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A stronger Berliner Weiss?

Just curious if anyone has ever brewer a Berliner Weiss type beer, but up'd the starting gravity. I'm curious what the results would be like.

I love the sourness of Berliner Weiss, but don't really want to drink a 2-3% beer.

Lambic's are one option, but I just can't get past the Brett Horsey'ness.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 04-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
newkarian
Recipes 

I think one reason for the lower gravity is that the lacto will poop out at a fairly low alcohol level and you wont get the sourness you want. I know pedio can handle more alcohol but also will make a tarter beer and you have to worry about diacetyl.
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lacto is supposed to be good to around 8%. No reason why it shouldn't work, but let the lacto get it's count up before letting the sach go to work.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
newkarian
Recipes 

Good to know didnt think it would go that high. Only one way to find out how it will turn out.
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
newkarian
Recipes 

Try making a recipe with 50/50 pale/pilsner malt and wheat malt and about 10 ibu of mash/first wort hops. Do a decoction mash with no or short boil. Pitch the lacto a couple days ahead of the sach. Around 8# of each malt should get you into the 8% range

Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
boxcar
Recipes 

I did a berliner up to a sg of about 1.060 and used the wyeast berliner weisse blend and it turned out fantastic. after about 6 months, the souring got really intense, and it took a little longer than that for the brett to adequately come through, but patience was rewarded.

I think I used about 60%pils and 40% wheat, 1/2 oz noble hops boiled for 5 minutes to sterilize and then aged in the primary for 6 months.