Milling: Drill or Hand Crank? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Milling: Drill or Hand Crank?

Old 07-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
LBrewski
Recipes 

Jul 2006
Orange County, CA

In the process of going all-grain, looking at buying a mill and was wondering if folks have a preference for using a drill or crushing it the old fashioned way with a crank. I kind of like the idea of hand cranking, but then I haven't had the experience of milling 14 pounds of two-row.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

I suspect you will use a drill the second time, like just about everyone I know. I've used one once & do not intend to go back to that store, even though it is the closest one.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Liked 170 Times on 89 Posts

I ran my mill for a few years with hand power. When I converted it so I could use my cordless DeWalt I wondered why I didn't do it sooner.
I thought the same thing- Kinda cool to hand crank the mill the old fashion way. I now prefer the drill.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
ajf

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

I enjoy grinding by hand. It warms up my drinking arm which gets quite a good workout on brew days. But if I had to mill 14# grain. I think I'd go for the drill.

-a.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
Brewiz

Recipes 

May 2005
Stockbridge, Ga
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I was doing the cordless drill thing also but my drill would get real hot. I really didn't want to smoke it or the batteries, so I went motorized.

The motor, pulley's and other hardware was less than $80 and the wood was about $15. I crushed 31lbs the other day in less than 10 minutes.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #6
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Calgary
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I like milling by hand, it's kind of a calm befor the storm on brew-day. The forced monotony prepares me for the upcoming torrent. And it does a great job of warming up the drinking arm. :P

Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Farmington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The LHBSs I go to have a motorized mill that you can ajust. I dont have the expereince to know exactly how to adjust it for the best results, but judging from the propper cursh picture that Brewpaster put up I think it's pretty good. Couldn't see hand cranking it all.... I do have other more important things to do outside of exerting that kind of energy on something that can be done quicky and efficiently another way.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 07-26-2006, 05:13 AM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I mill by hand while watching tv. I would consider using a cheap corded drill for it, but I'm not about to risk burning out my cordless Makita. All in all most of us could use more exercise, so I don't see it as a negative.