2 male 3/8" barbs
1 female 3"8" barb
1 3/8" compression cap
4 #11 O-rings
stainless steel braid
1 mason jar
a couple of spare lids
some spare hose
I decided to make this since I never seem to get the hop aroma I am looking for with my current setup. I figured go ahead and give this a shot, because if nothing else I am only out $20 in parts, most of which I can easily use for something else.
First I took a mason jar lid and drilled a couple holes in it. I suggest having some spares because if you don't have the lid secured or your drill going fast enough you will shred the thin metal of the lid. I used a dremel tool to enlarge the holes the slight amount needed to fit the barbs in.
One of the holes uses 1 male and 1 female barb with a couple O-rings, while the other uses the male and compression cap.
The idea here is that hot wort from the kettle comes in one side (the side with the compression cap) and leaves through the other the 2-barbed side which will have the stainless steel braid attached.
I did a simple test run with water and it seemed to work great with no leaks or anything. The leak in the picture is from the march pump since I didnt use any hoseclamps on the hoses yet.
I stopped here tonight since I need to make dinner, but my next step will be placing the braid over the dip-tube. This way I can fill the jar with my hops and fill it half full with wort, hook up my march pump on the outlet, and draw from my boil kettle, through the hop back with the march pump, and into my CFC.
After I finish making it I will do a more elaborate test run, and use it in its inaugural brew of an IPA to enter into Edworts IPA competition this summer
I will post more pics as I go and answer any questions that may arise.