Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Clear Plastic Leaf garbage bags

Old 04-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Chips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Clear Plastic Leaf garbage bags

Hello Everyone,

I was at my lhbs the other day and while waiting in line struck up a conversation with a couple of older home-brewers. They have sadly since moved from home brewing to in-store brewing (too heavy lifting fermenters i guess?). They said back in the day when they used to brew, instead of sanitizing their primary bucket fermenters, they'd just line the bucket with a brand new clear plastic leaf garbage bag. I guess their theory was that since it was made from liquid plastic it was sterile.

I've never heard of this before and have no idea about the 'food safety' of drinking beer made in a garbage bag. However...it is an interesting idea especially for new homebrewers as it saves the sanitizing step (if it works of course).

Anyways these guys said it worked great for them. Anyone else ever heard/tried anything like this before?

Just curious...

Old 04-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I use Reynolds 24lb Turkey Bags every time.

Not that garbage bags are an issue I just feel better using something intended for contact with foods being prepared to be eaten. I know for a fact that the Reynolds bags are pH tolerant and aside from this ever growing nub at the base of my spine, I have seen no ill effects from their use.

I do know a few who have had problems while filling the bags but, I have not had the issues and cannot vouch for why others have.

Regardless of what type of bag used I would NOT advise against sanitizing the liner. A simple spritz of StarSan to the inside is all that is needed. The main advantage to using the liners is that it signifigantly reduces the amount of cleaning needed for your bucket fermenters once the beer is racked off. All I do is pull the bag, rinse out the bucket, and invert it to dry. Easy Peasy. Rice and Cheesy.

Additionally, using the liners there is also no ligering fear of scratching the buckets thus harboring the evil microscopic gnomes. Meaning, I can stack my buckets and sleep peacefully at night knowing I have not smited any of the beer gods of plastic.

Cheers and good luck.

CiscoKid Likes This 
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
CiscoKid

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, what a great idea. Being the lazy guy i am, I'm definately going to have to try that.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Ooooh!!! I had never heard of this, or even thought about it! hOW MUCH DO THOSE TURKEY BAGS RUN?

Sorry about the caps, I can't be bothered to go back and fix it. Dammit!!! I just realised it took me way longer to type this than fix the typo! ......Oh well.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Garbage bags are theoretically not food safe, unless they're labeled as such. Because of the plastics from which they're made, they could leach potentially harmful chemicals into food. This is a relatively common "catch" in food safety regulation (health inspector)... a restaurant will store bread or other food items in plastic garbage bags and it will be a violation of the food safety code.

Large food grade plastic bags are made for the restaurant industry. Unless it's labeled as food safe, I wouldn't use it.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Garbage bags are theoretically not food safe, unless they're labeled as such. Because of the plastics from which they're made, they could leach potentially harmful chemicals into food. This is a relatively common "catch" in food safety regulation (health inspector)... a restaurant will store bread or other food items in plastic garbage bags and it will be a violation of the food safety code.

Large food grade plastic bags are made for the restaurant industry. Unless it's labeled as food safe, I wouldn't use it.
Yeah, but I think we have officially moved this to the idea of these turkey bag things now.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd also be concerned about the permability of the trash bags. As we all know, not all plastic is created equal. Since this is also going into a bucket or other container, that's probably less of a concern. But still, I'd be afraid of fermenting beer in a plastic that isn't deemed "food safe." Sounds like the turkey bags, at a minimum, would solve those concerns.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 28 Posts

Seriously, you guys hadn't heard about the whole turkey bag movement? Gila turned me on to those a few months ago. Screw having to clean buckets, just toss out the bag when you're done.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

At about $1.00 a bag. They aren't cheap in comparison but, well worth the "expense" to not have to clean or worry about replacing buckets.

I have also noticed that the bags mitigate odor permeation and definitely thwart staining. So far, I have 5 brews "in the bag" and am definitely a convert.

Some of the converted had issues with keeping the bag on the bucket but, I think their sonbriety was ta question too.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This turkey bag idea is awesome!!! Thanks Gila!