Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > RIMS for Dummies
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #1081
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 363
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
Since the list on the first post was last updated in 2009, I just want to check something. Is the generally accepted "best parts" list is still the same?

I'm basically looking at
  • http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts/122-rims for the body
  • Adding a 1 1/2" SS Camlock pairing to make the element easily removed
  • The 1500W 120-1500-ELD element from plumbingsupply.com
  • Auber 2352 PID
  • Auber TC-K100M1/2NPT K-type thermocouple
  • A 25A SSR with heat sink
  • 20A GFCI extension cord
  • Couple of appropriately rated switches, a project box, and perhaps a cooling fan

Bueno? Suggestions?
That's a good start, but why not spend $17 extra and make it with triclamp fittings. I found this RIMS Tube at glaciertanks in the not easily seen "More" tab of the "Triclamp Product 304/316" tab. It comes with everything you need; 2 x 1.5" triclamp T's and 5 x 1.5" Triclamps with seals for an amazing $89. Check out JoeyChopps parts list for the 1.5" Triclamp to 1" NPT fitting you'll need for your element and my post on the 1.5" Triclamp RTD. Then all you need is a pump, heater element, PID circuit, and your wort in/out connections.


fc36 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #1082
wilfonzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 136
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I wish they had a better description on the glaciertanks tube. Ok, it says "Element end fitting is threaded with 1” NPS threads to match almost every water heater element available at any home improvement center." So.. the "element end fitting" is the NPS adapter, which doesn't come with it?

And what size are the two outlets on top?


wilfonzo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #1083
fluidmechanics
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 147
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Mark
fluidmechanics is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #1084
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: warner robins, ga
Posts: 1,401
Liked 279 Times on 189 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36

That's a good start, but why not spend $17 extra and make it with triclamp fittings. I found this RIMS Tube at glaciertanks in the not easily seen "More" tab of the "Triclamp Product 304/316" tab. It comes with everything you need; 2 x 1.5" triclamp T's and 5 x 1.5" Triclamps with seals for an amazing $89. Check out JoeyChopps parts list for the 1.5" Triclamp to 1" NPT fitting you'll need for your element and my post on the 1.5" Triclamp RTD. Then all you need is a pump, heater element, PID circuit, and your wort in/out connections.
I love my 1.5 and I also love how short mine is compared to the 1 inch model it's easier to clean IMO. My output barbs are 3/4 and I used 1/2 line. I had to boil water and soak the hose in the water and them man handed the hose onto the barbs but I don't have to use hose clamps and there is no way in hell the hose is coming off without a knife. The only problem I ran into with my rig is the element won't fit into the fitting without bending the element a little but I went slow and didn't damage the element.
JoeyChopps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #1085
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 363
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
I love my 1.5 and I also love how short mine is compared to the 1 inch model it's easier to clean IMO. My output barbs are 3/4 and I used 1/2 line. I had to boil water and soak the hose in the water and them man handed the hose onto the barbs but I don't have to use hose clamps and there is no way in hell the hose is coming off without a knife. The only problem I ran into with my rig is the element won't fit into the fitting without bending the element a little but I went slow and didn't damage the element.
Are you saying your water heater element is threaded for 1.5" NPT?
fc36 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #1086
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: warner robins, ga
Posts: 1,401
Liked 279 Times on 189 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36

Are you saying your water heater element is threaded for 1.5" NPT?
Yea the element fit the fitting I used but the end of the element was too wide to go through the fitting so I had to pitch it a bit and it screwed in perfect.
JoeyChopps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #1087
cfrazier77
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cfrazier77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Troy, IL
Posts: 643
Liked 85 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Wanted to give a big thanks to this thread and stlbeer for helping me get this put together and working. It works well and I can hit my mash temps dead on.

Its a 2000w 120v system with an Auber PID with the timer built in. The tube is the 2" from brewershardware.com.







cfrazier77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #1088
ArrowHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfonzo View Post
I wish they had a better description on the glaciertanks tube. Ok, it says "Element end fitting is threaded with 1 NPS threads to match almost every water heater element available at any home improvement center." So.. the "element end fitting" is the NPS adapter, which doesn't come with it?

And what size are the two outlets on top?
I just bought one, and the NPS fitting must be bought separately. The two outlets are the same size as the end openings & can accomodate 1/2" NPT fittings.
ArrowHead is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1089
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 363
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
Nice heat stick! I love mine and couldn't brew without it.
fc36 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #1090
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
Jeebas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 470
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
I just bought one, and the NPS fitting must be bought separately. The two outlets are the same size as the end openings & can accomodate 1/2" NPT fittings.
Whew! I just got done reading all 1080+ posts of this.

For those who have purchased the glaciertanks tube - http://www.glaciertanks.com/Rims_Tub...1_2_SS304.html - The picture on their website doesn't really show the ends or any of the openings of the tube - did you still need to adapters for the triclamp fittings - http://www.glaciertanks.com/Products..._Products.html - for the probe, wort in and wort out? I would think for the element as well, but the page says this - "Element end fitting is threaded with 1 NPS threads to match almost every water heater element available at any home improvement center." Or is it the same as the base configuration as the Brewers Hardware RIMS Tube - http://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-C...RIMS-Tube.html


Jeebas is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewrigs for dummies Brewmance Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 10-07-2011 05:24 PM
Kegging for Dummies BlackHat Bottling/Kegging 9 11-05-2009 02:06 AM
Kegging for Dummies Bru Equipment/Sanitation 4 07-24-2009 07:18 AM
kegging for dummies JBrady Bottling/Kegging 6 09-01-2008 02:36 PM
Sparging for Dummies buckeyebrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-26-2007 06:21 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS