RIMS for Dummies - Page 104 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > RIMS for Dummies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #1031
bellinmi88
 
bellinmi88's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Albany, NY
Posts: 275
Liked 28 Times on 11 Posts


Where did you buy it?
__________________
Mike Bellini
In the Bottle:
Full Moon IPA
Oatmeal Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #1032
ScottSingleton
 
ScottSingleton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Manassas, VA
Posts: 434
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


amazon has it; so does MakerShed.Com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #1033
Primevci
 
Primevci's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Battle Ground, Washington
Posts: 359
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Was wondering if i ordered the right stuff

1 x 25A SSR (MGR-1D4825) = $15.00
1 x Liquid tight RTD sensor, 4 in, 1/2 NPT Thread (PT100-L1001/2NPT) =
$45.35
Cable Option Deluxe Cable
1 x 1/4 DIN PID Temperature Controller (SYL-43X2) = $59.50
Output Configuration Option SYL-4342 Relay Contactor
__________________
Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #1034
stlbeer
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Fenton, MO
Posts: 973
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Primevci View Post
Was wondering if i ordered the right stuff

1 x 25A SSR (MGR-1D4825) = $15.00
1 x Liquid tight RTD sensor, 4 in, 1/2 NPT Thread (PT100-L1001/2NPT) =
$45.35
Cable Option Deluxe Cable
1 x 1/4 DIN PID Temperature Controller (SYL-43X2) = $59.50
Output Configuration Option SYL-4342 Relay Contactor

You need a PID that supports SSR output, such as the SYL-4352. The SYL-4342 supports RELAY output.

You can probably call Auber and have the order changed.
__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #1035
Primevci
 
Primevci's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Battle Ground, Washington
Posts: 359
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer

You need a PID that supports SSR output, such as the SYL-4352. The SYL-4342 supports RELAY output.

You can probably call Auber and have the order changed.
Thanks I adctually read threw allot of post and found out I needed the 4352 sent a email yesterday and the fixed it yesterday witch I thought was odd but I'm happy also ordered the heat sink and they added it to my order from before and refunded me the shipping that was charged for the heat sink that site has great customer service..... I wonder if the op can list the proper pid on his diagram since he has the 4342 shown on it....
__________________
Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #1036
stlbeer
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Fenton, MO
Posts: 973
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Primevci View Post
... I wonder if the op can list the proper pid on his diagram since he has the 4342 shown on it....
Well, it was about 3 years ago, but I'd say nope.

I've built about 4 of these. If you need assistance, don't be afraid to chime in.
__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #1037
Dgonza9
 
Dgonza9's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Evanston, Illinois
Posts: 1,182
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


I've cycled through a few elements in the past year. The first one said it was 120V 1500W ULWD, but I came to find out (as others did) that this 4 1/2" element was definitely not ULWD. I changed it out and went to a 9" element that was 120V and 1500W. Said LWD, but was much longer.

Well, I recently did a pilsner and had some scorching when ramping up for a mashout. I did do a protein rest and that created quite a lot of protein gunk.

So I went to amazon.com and bought a 220V ULWD element that was 4500W. I figured I'd run it at 120V and avoid scorching. Thing is, the element is shorter than a 220V 4500W LWD element I have in my BK running at 220V.

WTF? Does amazon and Camco just lie about these things? The new one is a lime life element, but it's 10" long and the other one is 13." Can't see how it can have less watt density, can you? Thinking about sending it back.

One other question, does anyone successfully do temperature ramps with their RIMS tube? I never have scorching issues just maintaining temps. But I have twice gotten some scorch when doing ramps from a protein rest or for mash out. I get good flow. I'm not measuring it, but it's solid.

Cheers.
__________________
On Tap: Belgian Barrel Aged Barleywine, Da Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout, Hop Your Face Off IIPA, Catcher in the Rye Saison, "Wino-head" Nelsin Sauvin Gumballhead.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #1038
rosienej
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Colchester, CT
Posts: 175
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9
I've cycled through a few elements in the past year. The first one said it was 120V 1500W ULWD, but I came to find out (as others did) that this 4 1/2" element was definitely not ULWD. I changed it out and went to a 9" element that was 120V and 1500W. Said LWD, but was much longer.

Well, I recently did a pilsner and had some scorching when ramping up for a mashout. I did do a protein rest and that created quite a lot of protein gunk.

So I went to amazon.com and bought a 220V ULWD element that was 4500W. I figured I'd run it at 120V and avoid scorching. Thing is, the element is shorter than a 220V 4500W LWD element I have in my BK running at 220V.

WTF? Does amazon and Camco just lie about these things? The new one is a lime life element, but it's 10" long and the other one is 13." Can't see how it can have less watt density, can you? Thinking about sending it back.

One other question, does anyone successfully do temperature ramps with their RIMS tube? I never have scorching issues just maintaining temps. But I have twice gotten some scorch when doing ramps from a protein rest or for mash out. I get good flow. I'm not measuring it, but it's solid.

Cheers.
I do ramps using heat tape outside of a rims tube with no issues.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #1039
killian
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
western/central new york
Posts: 1,497
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


heat tape?
__________________
damn I gotta brew something

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #1040
rosienej
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Colchester, CT
Posts: 175
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by killian View Post
heat tape?
I documented it here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/elec...eherms-293810/

I am doing a couple of cycles this weekend so I will take photos to document the process.

Joel

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewrigs for dummies Brewmance Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 10-07-2011 05:24 PM
Kegging for Dummies BlackHat Bottling/Kegging 9 11-05-2009 02:06 AM
Kegging for Dummies Bru Equipment/Sanitation 4 07-24-2009 07:18 AM
kegging for dummies JBrady Bottling/Kegging 6 09-01-2008 02:36 PM
Sparging for Dummies buckeyebrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-26-2007 06:21 PM


Forum Jump