Ouch... Only a 28 point drop in SG... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ouch... Only a 28 point drop in SG...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
Jeffro
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Auburn, WA
Posts: 187
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts



in 10 days...

But, it's not like it wasn't expected. My mash was at 162 for half an hour before I realized it was that high.....

The OG was 1.048 and today it was 1.020. Gonna be a really sweet wheat beer in a couple of weeks.

I bought the same grain/hop bill yesterday...

5 Lbs of Gambrious ESB 4L
5 Lbs malted wheat
1 Lbs Crystal 40
1 Lbs CaraPils

1 Oz NZ Saaz 5.2 @ 60
.5 OZ NZ Saas 5.2 @ 30
.5 Oz NZ Saaz 5.2 at flameout

This time I'm going to make damn sure that I keep the mash temp UNDER 150
And I'm going to Pitch on the Fermentis WB yeastcake from last weeks attempt.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Mattbastard
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 79

Well, at least you know what you did wrong.

Good idea on the yeast cake.

Let me know how the WB-06 turns out. I have a pack of it and am nervous about how it'll be.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,891
Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts


I repitched onto a wheat cake once and it made the worst wheat I have ever had. Pitching on an entire yeast cake is an overpitch of epic proportions and in something like a wheat where you want some esters you really need some reproduction going on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Posts: 6,886
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts


You could make a dryer version of the same beer and blend the two before bottling or kegging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Wow, 162F... yeah that is high, I am surprised you had as much conversion as you did.

Now, realize, you will probably see a noticeable gain in eff. if you get those temps in the mash below 160F... so 12 pounds of grain may put you right at the top of the OG scale for a Heffe, or over it.

70% will give you 1.052 (this being the max for the style)
80% will give you about 1.060

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Jeffro
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Auburn, WA
Posts: 187
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
You could make a dryer version of the same beer and blend the two before bottling or kegging.
That is my plan.

The mash today was 148 so it should be way dry.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Jeffro
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Auburn, WA
Posts: 187
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Wow, 162F... yeah that is high, I am surprised you had as much conversion as you did.

Now, realize, you will probably see a noticeable gain in eff. if you get those temps in the mash below 160F... so 12 pounds of grain may put you right at the top of the OG scale for a Heffe, or over it.

70% will give you 1.052 (this being the max for the style)
80% will give you about 1.060
I'm not much on sticking to style.

Todays OG was 1.048 as well.

My efficiency sucks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
MacBruver
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Orange County, CA
Posts: 616
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


If you've already pitched on the cake, it's a little late.. but everything I have read states that an over-pitch by even 20% will noticeably change the character of the beer, and not for the better. You're much better off washing the yeast and measuring out slurry... the mr. malty pitching rate calculator has a tab for that. I did this with my last batch of beer and it worked great.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary: Bee Cave Robust Porter (with coconut)
Kegged: Cascade/Citra Amber Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
Jeffro
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Auburn, WA
Posts: 187
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
If you've already pitched on the cake, it's a little late.. but everything I have read states that an over-pitch by even 20% will noticeably change the character of the beer, and not for the better. You're much better off washing the yeast and measuring out slurry... the mr. malty pitching rate calculator has a tab for that. I did this with my last batch of beer and it worked great.

I pitch on cakes quite often.


I usually dump out about half of it first though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
MacBruver
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Orange County, CA
Posts: 616
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


ah, well.. thats better than the whole thing, but it's still probably over by 100% or more. You should try leaving only a cup or so of slurry, even if you don't go through the whole washing procedure. The fermentation still takes off pretty quick, and I think you'll get a better final product.


__________________
Primary:
Secondary: Bee Cave Robust Porter (with coconut)
Kegged: Cascade/Citra Amber Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting my brew from point A to point B bernerbrau General Beer Discussion 32 09-24-2008 02:17 AM


Forum Jump