Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weisse Hops

Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
newkarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Berliner Weisse Hops

Planning on brewing a no-boil BW this weekend. Only problem is I dont have any german noble hops on hand. I have tons of american c hops, amarillo, etc. I also have fuggles and goldings. I will be doing a mash hop for this with a below 10 IBU. Which would you guys use? The fuggle or the golding?

On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I think either one would work fine. I used Willamette (which I believe are a fuggle derivative) on my no-boil Berliner and like the results.

Are you doing a decoction? Otherwise your IBUs will be 0.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
newkarian
Recipes 

yes i plan on doing a double decoction with rests at 135 and 149
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 04-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkarian View Post
yes i plan on doing a double decoction with rests at 135 and 149
Cool, I was really happy with my batch (.5 oz of hops in 3.5 gallons). What are you going with for yeast/bacteria? I used the Wyeast blend, but Iíll have to find an alternative since it doesnít sound like that is coming back any time soon.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
newkarian
Recipes 

Planning on using Wyeast 5335 for the Lacto and US-05 for the Sach. I will make a 1.5L starter of Lacto and pitch it about 48hrs ahead of the Sach. Do you think around 1oz of fuggle would be good for 5.5 gals.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Oldsock
Recipes 

Sounds like a good plan to me, remember to post your results eventually.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
newkarian
Recipes 

Will do. I also have a Strong dark belgian that I bretted last may that is smelling great. Will have to bottle it soon. I is basically a rodenbach 8 clone that mutated. OG 1.10 SG last time i checked 1.08

Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Oldsock
Recipes 

Sounds very tasty, I did something similar a few years back, but also added some dark cherries (ala Cuvee Tomme), ended up as one of the best batches I have made. Iím thinking of doing it again this year once cherry season rolls around, probably trying a blend of dark and sour cherries this time though for a bit more ďpopĒ

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
newkarian
Recipes 

Sour cherry sounds good. Ive also dumped the dregs from Rodenbach gran cru, Renee Cuvee, and Fantome in. Has a beautiful pellicle that my SWMBO is afraid of.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I used the Wyeast blend, but Iíll have to find an alternative since it doesnít sound like that is coming back any time soon.
I received confirmation from Wyeast a couple weeks ago that it won't be back until 2010.