Adding chocolate to a chocolate stout - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding chocolate to a chocolate stout

Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
jdog2050
Recipes 

Aug 2008

Hey there,

I've got a soon to be chocolate stout that's wrapping up fermentation.

I've read a few threads where people talk about basically making "hot cocoa" and adding it to your secondary.

My thing is that I'm thinking about skipping secondary all-together and just adding a hot-cocoa/sugar mix to the bottling bucket and bottling right away.

My fear is that during secondary, a lot of the cocoa will fall out of suspension and make for a lot of uneven flavors.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
willangus
Recipes 

Jan 2009
England

I added 8oz of cocoa (make into a paste with water first) 10 minutes before the end of the boil. This resulted in a very nice level of chocolate taste, nice and balanced.

Up next: 'Ginger Nut' Ginger spiced Pale Ale

Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Lonek

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liverpool, PA

How long has it been in your primary? Stout's are meant to be aged somewhat. I usually throw my Stouts in a secondary and let them disappear in the back of my closet for awhile.
Ready to drink: Scottish Shilling 60, Liverpool Pale Ale

Gallons brewed this year:
5 gallons Belgian Witbier
5 gallons Liverpool House Pale Ale
5 gallons Scottish Shilling 60

Old 04-18-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Cocoa makes a pile of trub like you wouldn't believe. Put the cocoa in the fermenter and let it sit there for a while unless you want a inch or so of sediment in your bottles.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
oswiu
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Wellington, NZ
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I added (artificial) chocolate extract to my stout at bottling time. The first few bottles were great and very chocolatey. Over time the taste has mellowed and now (after 7 weeks in the bottle) there's just a hint of chocolate flavour, but still quite a bit of aroma.

I wouldn't be surprised if natural chocolate extract gave a somewhat nicer and longer lasting flavour, but given that it's over ten times the price I think I'll be sticking with artificial for my next batch.

Drinking: Buff Face Imperial Stout, Cria (2.X% ABV hop bomb), Llama Doodle NZ hopped IPA

loetz Likes This