Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > 24VDC to 12VDC

Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Dwain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default 24VDC to 12VDC

I have a 24VDC power supply to run some control valves. I need to run a 12VDC pump. Is there some way I can do this without buying an expensive power converter? I've read about center tapping the power supply and think I could do that but most of the posts say that you'll ruin the equipment, either the power supply or the pump. The power supply has plenty of umph (technical electrical term) to run the pump and control valves. Thanks - Dwain

Old 04-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If your 24 VDC power supply has enough current available to handle the solenoids and the pump a simple voltage regulator will work. How much current does the pump require? If it is less than 3 amps a 3 terminal regulator will work just fine.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #3
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It's going to depend on the load, meaning how much current the pump needs. Most 12VDC pumps I was looking at required quite a bit of current, over 7A.

A voltage regulator like Guy pointed out is a good choice if the load isn't too much. Also, how much current can the power supply put out?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
jcdillin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah i've never seen a 12v pump that moved any decent amount of liquid without taking some considerable amps. Depending on load it may be easier to get another power supply with the correct voltage for your pump.
MasterFlex Peristaltic Primary Pump
March Secondary Pump
Therminator for Chilling

Planned
Automated Grain Drop
Automated Hop Dropper

System controlled via BrewTroller

Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdillin View Post
Yeah i've never seen a 12v pump that moved any decent amount of liquid without taking some considerable amps. Depending on load it may be easier to get another power supply with the correct voltage for your pump.
As an electrical engineer I concur.

If you don't know much about electronics (which I'm guessing you don't being that the question is being asked) I'd get the correct power supply for the job.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns