Pics of my 48qt Cooler MLT I just built

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcm_rx7

Reaction score
Just built this 48qt Rubbermaid Cooler MLT using CPVC and CPVC Cement. Had the cooler laying around already and spent ~$20 on the rest of the supplies. Can't wait to try it out, I have some grain on order. This will be my first attempt at all grain and I'm excited. This stuff was all built with the help of HBT ideas.

11w7b01.jpg

Built using 1/2" CPVC, I haven't put the slits on the bottom yet, but will do that tomorrow using a dremel and cut-off wheel. The manifold is pretty solid in there, shouldn't move around much if at all. I didn't cement the manifold connections together so I can disassemble for easy cleaning.

2s0eic2.jpg

I used CPVC cement to seal up the hole on the cooler. A 1/2" cpvc coupler fit perfectly inside the factory hole and a bit of cement secured and sealed it right up. I'm going to put some epoxy from the valve to the cooler just to strengthen it up a bit.

aebo1w.jpg

I will be modifying this tomorrow for use as a Grain Mill. It's a pasta roller I picked up for $14 from Michael's (found a 40% off coupon online). It turns perfectly with my cordless drill with a 3/8" paddle type drill bit. Just need to gouge up the rollers and fab up a hopper. I think it'll work well.

Nice job there on the cooler. You will love the all grain process even though it is a bit more time consuming. Good luck with the pasta mill. I hope it works OK.

Just wondering? Did your pasta mill ever end up working? Do you get a nice crush from it?

Did that clampless plastic ball valve ever work for you? I used one of those and the heat would make the hose come out of the valve = disaster

I still use my pasta mill with every batch. I've put a few hundred pounds of grain through it so far. It works, and is very cheap, but it takes awhile, and I've had to redo the rollers a few times.

I've since upgraded my MLT to a 72 quart coleman extreme with a brass ball valve. The plastic one worked for awhile though.

What did you have to do to the rollers? I'm guessing the pasta rollers a flat and smooth. Did you rough-up the surface to grip the grains better? If so, how? Any pics?

Use a ~1/4" drill bit and put it onto the rollers until they're all torn up, took me about about 10 minutes. If you hold it at the right angle the rollers will spin around. You should end up with a sizable pile of metal shavings. See this thread for more info.

1275-roller-close-up-roughed-up-1-4-drill-bit.jpg

Back