Irish Red Ale Kit - Midwest or Northern? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Irish Red Ale Kit - Midwest or Northern?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
alexavery
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm thinking about Irish red ale for my next batch. I've read a number of posts on this. Since this will still just be my 3rd batch, I think I will stick with a recipe kit.

I will buy the recipe kit from either Midwest or Northern Brewer.

Anybody have experience with these kits from Midwest or Norther Brewer? How did they turn out?

I noticed Northern's uses Nottingham yeast and Midwest comes with Muntons. Not sure what kind of difference that will make.

thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

If you do decide to go with the Midwest kit, choose the option to upgrade the yeast. Munton's ale yeast is crap, IMHO.

I haven't done this particular kit from Midwest, but I have had some tasty brews come from other Midwest kits. I generally use the White Labs liquid yeast option, but if the price is a bit too much, just tack on a dry packet of Nottingham to your order.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Based on the yeast selection, I say go with NB's because Nottingham is a hell of a lot better than Muntons.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
jay672
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Midvale, Utah

Ive done the partial mash Recipe from Midwest came out great +1 on the yeast tho i used the wyeast.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota

True, but with a packet of Notty costing about $1, I don't think it would be any issue to just buy the pack along with the recipe if he decided to go that route.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Weezknight

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about to do my very first batch ever this weekend and I'm doing an Irish Red. I studied a lot of the various kits/recipes, and was going to go with the Midwest kit. In the end, with the help of this site, some brewer friends, and BeerSmith, I decided to do my own Irish Red recipe.

If you are not completely sold on any of those kits, there is enough information around to put together a fairly easy Irish Red recipe.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Thumper
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Kansas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My second batch ever was the Midwest kit with the muttons yeast. I was not impressed with the muttons, but can't completly blame it becasue of another newbie mistake. I thought that it would be good to squeeze the grain bag after steeping the grains. DOH!. I later learned (from here) that I may have caused tannins from the grain to be in my wort. The beer is drinkable and is getting better with age (2 months) in bottle, but it has a aftertaste which is hard for me to describe. In summary I am sure that the kit is fine, but I would upgrade the yeast.

Good Luck,

Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
irunxcjm
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Olathe, KS
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first beer ever was the Midwest kit. I have friends say that it was thier favorite batch I've made yet. And I even used the Munton's yeast.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota

Interesting, if a bit unrelated, side note:

Munton's yeast does make for a tasty Apfelwein. I say buy the Midwest kit (I've yet to make a Midwest kit I didn't enjoy) and a packet of Nottingham. Make the beer with the Notty, and use that Munton's yeast for a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
bennychico11
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Kansas City
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezknight View Post
I'm about to do my very first batch ever this weekend and I'm doing an Irish Red. I studied a lot of the various kits/recipes, and was going to go with the Midwest kit. In the end, with the help of this site, some brewer friends, and BeerSmith, I decided to do my own Irish Red recipe.

I did the same and I'm cracking open the first bottle tomorrow (2 weeks after bottling). When I tasted before bottling I was actually quite impressed with what I was able to come up with on my own.
I can post my recipe when I get home if you want.

Primary: Mexican Cerveza
Primary: Chimay Blue clone
Bottled Fox Hound Irish Red
Bottled: Blue Moon clone from AHB
Bottled: Unnamed Stout
Next up: Mexican Cerveza