Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Local brewing clubs/groups in SF east bay?

Old 07-22-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
bassplayrr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: SF East Bay Area, CA. About 15min. from MoreBeer in Concord. :D
Default Local brewing clubs/groups in SF east bay?

I'm new to brewing (actually haven't even started; the last bits of my brewing kit are scheduled to arrive Mon.) and am unfamiliar with my local homebrewing 'scene.' I'm a big Subaru enthusiast and as such I found that as helpful as the online forums were, I learned exponentially more by meeting face to face with a local chapter of a Subaru/WRX owner's club. Is such a thing common in the homebrewing world. Obviously there is the AHA, but how common is it to find local clubs that get together, fraternize, talk all things beer, and just generally B.S.? More specifically, does anyone know of such a club in the San Francisco east bay area. I live about 15-20 minutes from a popular homebrew distributor (morebeer.com) so I assume the homebrew hobby must be fairly alive and well in my area. Thanks for the help guys!

-Chris

Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

start by googling your town, state & homebrewer or go over to morebeer and ask. And if you ever hit Bezerkley, go to the Oak Barrel & check with Homer.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
bassplayrr

Recipes 

Following your advice I did stop by the Oak Barrel to look around, but forgot the gentleman's name I was supposed to be looking for. I'll be back in berkley this coming week, so I'll have to remember this time. Now, it looks like I'm off to practice my google-fu. Thanks again for the input.

-Chris

Old 07-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You live near More Beer? I hate you hate you I say! to have that kind of selection locally is just WRONG!

Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
bassplayrr

Recipes 

yeah, what can I say, I'm spoiled. As nice as it seems, it has already proven detrimental to my checkbook. Go in there for a $2 part, or even just 'free' advice, and walk out with $20+ worth of stuff you didn't realize you just HAD to have.

-Chris

Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thought I'd revive this old thread. Any updates on this? I just moved to Fremont and am looking for a club.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
iandh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you don't mind driving to Oakland, Bay Area Mashers is an awesome club that meets at Linden Street Brewery. I'm not sure what the current membership count is but its more than 80.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
Gldnst8warrior
Recipes 

Default Doze!

I have attended a Club Doze meeting and would highly recommend them. Based on the first meeting I attended I will probably be joining soon. I want to attend a meeting or two more before I pay the club fee's and make it official.

Overall the meeting was a blast and served as a great learning experience. The format is really layed back, share beer talk beer at first. Then the president talked club business for a bit. After that we did a blind taste test of a commercial beer and discussed it. That was interesting and sparked some more good conversation. Last they had a member speak on PH balance in a Q and A format. There was about 30 people all toll and I really enjoyed the meeting.

check em out you wont regret it: http://clubdoze.com/

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the responses. Any others?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
D-MOTITAN
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Also.....check out the LHBS......They always have info on clubs. Hop tech in pleasanton is cool. The owners brew every weekend