Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pacman yeast

Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
PavlovsCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pacman yeast

Does anyone use Pacman for anything other than Dead Guy? Anyone know the actual specific characteristics of this yeast? I have an extra pack that I was going to make starters with and store in the fridge. Just wondered what the results would be with recipes other than Dead Guy. Only thing I know about it, is that it likes 60-64 degree fermentation and that the target gravity for the Dead Guy was 1.066. I calculated from my BrewCraft clone kit results, that the Apparent Attenuation was 81% and the real attenuation was 67%. Based on my inexperienced eye, I would say that there was medium flocculation. I don't know about the degree of alcohol tolerance, but my ABV was 7.6%. The only thing missing from my homemade profile would be what flavors that it favored or produced.

I brewed this kit about 4 months ago. This was really an excellent kit and my best batch to date. I like mine even better than the original.

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I used it for a Red Rye several months ago and it came out absolutely delicious! Rogue uses Pacman for many of their beers, including Shakespeare Stout (which is where I got my yeast from). It seems to be a pretty versatile strain.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2885 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Just like Pacman is used for all of Rogue's beers-, stouts, bitters,browns, ipas, etc...so can you. I've used bottle harvested pacman in a lot of beers.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I plan on using it for my smash with vienna and Northern Brewer and a dead guy clone too.

I have the bottom of a hazelnut brown that I am going to see if I can get anything from this week.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Beerzoid
Recipes 

I've used it on a Porter as well as a Bitter. Both turned out amazing, the Porter is my best beer to date.

I say go for it.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerzoid View Post
I've used it on a Porter as well as a Bitter. Both turned out amazing, the Porter is my best beer to date.

I say go for it.
Sounds like I'll be using it sooner than I thought. Care to share the Bitter and Porter recipes?

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

How well is it attenuating for people? I've seen it described as uber-clean and wicked dry; is that how it's playing out?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

I got mine from Wyeast.

I've only done two beers with it and I got ~81% on a 'standard' ale (below) and 74% on a Stout (but it was a Stout with lots of unfermentables).

I e-mailed Wyeast and they said use the same numbers/description as the 1056 American Ale yeast.

I've never even tasted any Rogue beer.

Pacman Ale

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I use this and London Ale III as my "House Yeasts" and couldn't be happier with either. I get a pretty dry beer out of Pacman, with most beers finishing at least 3 points lower than Beersmith predicts. I am a big fan of specialty malts and Pacman keeps my beer from being cloying. I ferment at 63F for the majority of fermentation and then let the yeast clean up at 67F for the last few days before kegging.