Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Overflow 2nd day fermentation... huge problem?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Hunster87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Overflow 2nd day fermentation... huge problem?

Hey everyone what's happenin? I started a blonde ale the other day and when i woke up this morning to check on my baby, the stopper and airlock in my carboy were on the floor and there was a huge mess... What am i doing wrong?????!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Sounds like you had an pretty active fermentation. Do a search for "blowoff tube" and you'll find tons of info. Basically it's a hose that replaces the airlock and feeds to a contained of sanitizer. Keeps you from having those messes.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunster87 View Post
What am i doing wrong?????!!!
You, sir, are guilty of not doing your homework before brewing. You should always use a blowoff tube for the first few days of fermentation.

Do a quick search for blow off, if you don't already know what I'm talking about.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Set up a blow-off tube. Place one end on air lock or in lid hole, and the other end in sanitized water.

This hapened because you had rigiorous fermentation. Were you using a 5 gal or 6.5 gal?

If I had a pic I would post it, Im sure someone will post one in a few mintues.

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Hunster87
Recipes 

Hey llazy, i thought i did my homework but apparently you had to have an ego and point out that i didn't for humility's sake. This was an honest mistake, yes i know what a blow off tube is and i will gladly invest in one. Thank you for the advice. oh and histo im using a 5gallon

Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Hunster87
Recipes 

i don't mean to sound like a jerk

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunster87 View Post
Hey llazy, i thought i did my homework but apparently you had to have an ego and point out that i didn't for humility's sake. This was an honest mistake, yes i know what a blow off tube is and i will gladly invest in one. Thank you for the advice. oh and histo im using a 5gallon
It's not an ego thing by any stretch of the imagination. The majority of my time on HBT is spent answering questions from newer brewers, which I enjoy doing. The reason I said you didn't do your homework is because 10 seconds of searching (or a day or two of lurking) would have answered that question and not required an additional thread.

Honestly, I just figured you'd be able to handle a bit of good natured ribbing. There's a good deal of that around here. But hey, if you're upset about it then I apologize.

As for your 5 gallon fermenter, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone around here that would recommend a 5 gallon fermenter for use as a primary (at least not for beer) as 5 gallons of rapidly expanding liquid stored in a 5 gallon vessel is a recipe for.... well, you've already seen it first hand. Personally, I'd recommend a few 6-6.5 gallon buckets, carboys, or Better Bottles for use as your primary fermenter. I still say you should always use a blowoff for the first few days of active fermentation, but a larger vessel will cut down on the amount of beer you lose in the event of explosive fermentation.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Hunster87
Recipes 

o no i can definately handle it lol and yes i do greatly appreciate the advice but i do have one more question. i think the stopper was out of it for a few hours before i discovered it. is this batch good and ruined?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Probably not. It's a lot harder to ruin a batch of beer than most people believe. Either way, you'll know for sure in a few weeks if your beer tastes like someone died, was resurrected, died a second time, was resurrected a second time, evacuted their bowels into your carboy, then died a third and final time and was liquified into your beer.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Hunster87
Recipes 

o man that would be bad!!! especially the evacuating bowels part lol thanks again