Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Full Boil Question

Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Full Boil Question

I am planning on brewing an Imperial IPA this week and have a full boil question. Is there any difference in filling up your kettle to 6 gal of water in anticipation of 1 gal being lost through boiling vs. using only 5 gal. to start with. I would then add water during the boil to keep my wort at 5 gal. This recipe is going to max out my 7.5 gal. kettle so I am looking for any other tricks so that I can still do a "full boil". Of course maybe I am just waaaaaay overthinking this. Thanks!!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't see why the add-a-bit-at-a-time would not work. I think it's kind of a clever way to use a barely big enough pot.

Fermentation control drop should work too and you could fill you pot all the way.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
I don't see why the add-a-bit-at-a-time would not work. I think it's kind of a clever way to use a barely big enough pot.

Fermentation control drop should work too and you could fill you pot all the way.
What she said!

+1 to that being a rather creative solution. Well done.
+1 to some Fermcap-S to prevent boilover. With that, you could fill almost to the brim.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Plus another one that admires your ingenuity! It will take a little more monitoring, but it's a sound idea. I'm assuming you are topping up with already boiling water.

You may have just started a new trend for partial boils. Well one!

Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Braid
Recipes 

Instead of adding more water, I just save an extra gallon or so of my final runnings for this exact purpose.