recirculating (vorlauf) - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > recirculating (vorlauf)

Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
android
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Liked 43 Times on 34 Posts

did my 2nd all-grain yesterday, everything went pretty smooth. got 70% efficiency which is an improvement over the first time. i did the cream of 3 crops, ended up a little high on the OG (1.060), but I won't mind that.

the only bad part was my dip tube fell off before draining and i had to stick my hand in there to reconnect it, but i'm hopeful that won't cause any infection. i also found it's difficult to get the whole immersion chiller in the keggle with a dip tube in there.

i have a question about recirculating wort to clear the runnings. once you open the valve to start collecting the runnings, will shutting the valve and opening it again to collect the next 2 quarts make it foggy or should i just be leaving it open once the runnings are clear?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 44 Times on 10 Posts

It might make the first ounce a little cloudier, but not much. You really shouldn't need to vorlauf more than 2 quarts.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3332 Times on 3198 Posts

similar question. I use a 2 cup measuring cup for vorlauffing so i have to open/close/open/close and it never seems to get perfectly clear. Is it because opening and closing? I could get a larger vessel for vorlauffing.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
android
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Liked 43 Times on 34 Posts

irregularpulse nailed it, that's exactly what i was trying to ask, and exactly what i do. i think maybe a larger pitcher is necessary so when it starts to run clear, you can just move the hose over to the kettle and dump the vorlauf back in the mash tun.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007

No one willing to help us out? We're doomed to cloudy beer grainy beer android. At least until one of us brews again and try a larger vessel. Hopefully I'll get to brew my This&That brew this weekend and try it out.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Dec 2008
South Burlington, VT
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I vorlauf into a 4qt blowl. By the time its half way fill things are very clear. I stop, recirc, and vorlauf again. Stop, recirc, then begin to collect. The first 2-3 ounces may have a little junk in it, but is very clear in under a second normally. Everybody's equipment is different, try experimenting with yours.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
chumprock
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Rochester, NY
Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts

I've never had much luck vorloufing, but I've gotten better. Adding a plastic lid or somethign else to pour back onto made a HUGE difference, and after about 3-4 quarts I'd get it running fairly clear, but still a little cloudy and a lot of husks would make it through the false bottom.

So yesterday I decided to add a foil coffee filter to the end of the hose before the kettle. I couldn't believe all the little bits of stuff it trapped. I think I'm going to rig something permanent up.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Key West, Tampa

When you re-open the valve, do it very slowly at first.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007

thanks for the tip. I think I'll try a larger container next time too.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts

Ideally you wouldn't close the valve because when it is reopened it causes a sudden pull on the grain bed. The best way is to either pump it back through the grainbed or get two separate containers and swap them out...with a continues stream. Once it clears move the hose (without closing the valve) into the collection vessel. When pouring back through the top be sure to do so slowly and onto a diffuser of some sort as to not cause channeling. It will depend on your system...but it usually takes a few quarts before getting real clear.