Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Where to Start

Old 04-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Where to Start

I have done my reading and research about all-grain brewing. I feel confident with the techniques and tactics of making beer this way. I built my mash tun. I bought a Barley Crusher grain mill. I don't think I have any questions about the technique or methodologies. I'm trying to decide what I should brew first as an entry level beer into this process. I plan to batch sparge, and I'm looking for some feedback on what type of beer I should start with. It may be that it doesn't really matter since the technique is not going to change much, if any, for different styles of beer in all-grain brewing. I don't want to start with a brew that requires a protein rest. Any thoughts?

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Araxi
Recipes 

I would look ate Ed Worts recipes. He has a couple of pretty simple ones and obviously he knows what he is doing,

Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

You could do any recipe that is a single mash to simplify things. The recipe will give you the suggested mash temperature. Use one of the on-line brew calculators, like the brewer's friend, to calculate temps and water additions to get to your final pre-boil volume, then everything else is like other batches that you've done. You have a wort chiller, right? Because it's hard to cool a hot 5 gallon volume with just the old sink method.

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah if you don't have BeerSmith, go buy it. I would brew a "fuller" beer if it were me. Lets more imperfections slide. My first AG was BierMunchers Ode to Arthur stout, a good start because it can stand to come out to sweet/dry. My mash temp was to high so my FG was 1.020 and it is still going to taste good(albeit a bit sweet).

My second all grain was my BitburgAle, a pilsner beer with German Ale yeast, I fubared that one at the boil(let dms drip in) so it might be a cooking beer unless someone around here likes cream of corn and cabage beer.

So get a good thermometer and Beersmith,
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 04-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just pick out a proven single mash recipe from the database - any style of ale you like. A complicated grain bill is no more complicated to brew than a simple SMaSH recipe, just more colors in the mash tun is all. Pick something you think you'd like and have fun

Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I do have BeerSmith and a wort chiller that I built and have tested/used on my previous batch. It works really well. BeerSmith is giving me numbers that seem to be good, and I have learned how to tweak my mash volumes with it as well.

I'm seriously thinking about Yooper's Dead Guy clone as my first all grain...

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

a lot of people refered me to edwort's haus pale which is simple, quick, and cheap.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 04-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerMan View Post
So get a good thermometer and Beersmith,
This is some of the best advice for the All Grain brewer.