Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Small quantities of yeast

Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
mrchriswright
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Small quantities of yeast

Hey all,

I am just getting into home brewing and I'm interested in brewing very small (1-gallon) batches at a time. It seems that using a full pack of yeast (typically pitched into 5 gallons) is overkill, and I'm wondering if there are such things as prepackaged yeast in very small quantities. I was told that I can use a whole pack in my 1 gallon jar, but I'd like to either use smaller quantities or at least make the full package of yeast last for multiple batches. I assume that once a packet of yeast is opened, it must be used immediately. Am I right? I wish there was a way to store leftover yeast for future use. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Welcome.

There are some techniques to use to re-use yeast. You might have to start with a larger batch of beer first and then divide it. Check out this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/

Now, the question is, how much yeast do you need for a 1 gallon batch so you know how to divide it up.

Mr Malty

Look for the yeast pitching calculator.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
mrchriswright
Recipes 

McKBrew, thanks for the reply. Those links are VERY helpful. I think I might give this a shot, especially since I do not need special equipment to make the starters.

I'm still open for suggestions if anyone else would like to chime in.

Chris

Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Once the yeast is opened (assuming dry) it's life span decreases, but very slowly. I'm still on my first pound of distiller yeast after 3 years and it's still active, just have to use a little more.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned with the other ingredients in a 1 gallon batch. Extracts don't come sized for 1 gallon batches and and you don't sound like you are ready for an all grain batch.

You will never regret brewing up a 5 gallon batch which is the standard. It's only 2 "cases" of beer and even if you are a very slow drinker it will get better with age.

JM 0.02$

Old 04-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I do agree with HSM, 1G batches are not much, especially when you factor in losses from sediment and any dry hopping you might use.

At a minimum consider 2.5G batches.