Whirling Dervish Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
appropriate size
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 68°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
My version of a classic Belgian wit, simply spiced and a knockout warm-weather sipper
[SIZE=+2]Whirling Dervish[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]16-A Witbier[/SIZE]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/12/09

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 75%
Calories: 153.62 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.046 (1.044 - 1.052)
|============#===================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.008 - 1.012)
|======================#=========|
Color: 3.49 (2.0 - 4.0)
|===================#============|
Alcohol: 4.54% (4.5% - 5.5%)
|========#=======================|
Bitterness: 11.0 (10.0 - 20.0)
|=========#======================|

[SIZE=+1]Ingredients:[/SIZE]
4 lb Pilsner Malt
4 lb Unmalted Wheat
1 lb Oats Flaked
.5 oz Sterling (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
1 oz Corriander seeds - added during boil, flameout
1 oz Bitter Curacao/Bitter Orange (Peel) - added during boil, flameout
1.0 ea WYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

[SIZE=+1]Schedule:[/SIZE]

00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 2.25 gal; Strike: 131.98 °F; Target: 122 °F
00:18:00 Protein Rest - Rest: 15 min; Final: 122.0 °F
00:19:00 Infusion - Water: 2.25 gal; Temperature: 192.1 °F; Target: 154 °F
00:59:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 40 min; Final: 154.0 °F
01:09:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 152 °F, 10 min; Sparge #1: 2.12 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.12 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.86 gal

[SIZE=+1]Notes[/SIZE]
A few notes on the boil and mash schedule: Avoid an overly vigorous boil. You want to encourage the proteins to remain in solution rather than coagulating out. This will result in a mousse-like, persistent head with firm capping. This is the one time that I don't recommend any kettle finings and a stiff simmer as opposed to a powerful, rolling boil.

The first infusion is thick at 1.0 qt/lb.

Keep this yeast warm and fermenation will finish in 21 days. If kegging, remember to riddle the keg occasionally to keep the yeast in suspension and improve flavor. If this is inconvenient, bottling is perfect.

Carbonate high to 3 volumes.

[SIZE=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/SIZE]

I am going to be brewing this (well, close to it anyway) in the next few days sometime. Your advice about the boil makes sense, but I always thought a long vigorous boil (90min)was the key to driving off DMS from the pilsner malt. would a long relaxed boil/simmer do the same thing?

I am going to be brewing this (well, close to it anyway) in the next few days sometime. Your advice about the boil makes sense, but I always thought a long vigorous boil (90min)was the key to driving off DMS from the pilsner malt. would a long relaxed boil/simmer do the same thing?

Sorry I just missed this until now! A 90 minute boil is often prescribed for driving off DMS because of the half-life of DMS which is approximately 40 minutes. Boiling hydrolizes SMM into DMS which can be carried off, but I find quick cooling to be far more important. I've brewed this recipe many times and I've never detected any DMS despite defying common knowledge re: a vigorous boil. Likewise, my Berliner Weisse recipe has lots of Pils with only a 15 minute boil; no DMS. :D

Good luck with the brew!

Back