Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Area Around Fermenter Dirty -- a problem?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Area Around Fermenter Dirty -- a problem?

If the area where Iím fermenting my beer isnít super clean, do you think that will increase my chances of getting an infected batch?

Hereís why I askóI started a dubbel in a cleaner area and then moved it to a warmer (and more dirty area) to warm it up. Itís still bubbling every five seconds so that ďpushĒ of CO2 leaving the fermenter and the krausen should protect my beer from ambient bugs, right? For the record, itís a plastic bucket. Iím aware that they are more permeable to air than carboys.
I always do two weeks primary and then bottle so what Iím maybe thinking is that in six days or so when fermentation is mostly done, Iíll move it away, back to a cooler and cleaner because it wonít be bubbling as much.

Does this sound about right to you all?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
I love lamp!

It should be fine as long as your not constantly opening it to peak inside and there is nothing blowing around in the air when you do open it.

Squirrel House Brewing
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Yeah, the positive pressure caused by the CO2 the yeast produces keeps the bugs and dirt out.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

Your beer will be fine in the fermenter. However, when you keg/bottle/open the fermenter you're going to start incurring problems. The whole environment is ok for a sealed fermenter but you're going to have to open it sometime to keg/bottle. I'd just use this as an excuse to get some 401 and Pinesol.
play the bass, brew the beer

What's tappening? :D
Old 04-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Resident Crazy Uncle
Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You may want to clean the outside of your vessel before bottling.

However, beer is actually pretty resistant to infection. I used to have a handy list of things that have been done to beer in my family that 'common sense' would say would ruin it, but in fact it had no appreciable impact. For instance--- I once had a dog drink from the fermentation bucket while I was transferring to keg (silly me for stepping away). The beer was fine, even a couple months later.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.