Using Irish Moss - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using Irish Moss

Old 06-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Apr 2005
Knoxville, TN
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I use a product called Whirlfloc. It's basically concentrated Irish Moss in tablet form. I use one tablet for 5 gallons in the last 20 minutes of the boil. I have been really pleased with how well it works and it's fairly cheap.

When using Irish Moss, apparently, it seems to be more effective when you hydrate it prior to use. Put a teaspon in a pint or so of water and hydrate it for 15 minutes before adding to the boil.
Prosit,

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 06-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
I use a product called Whirlfloc. It's basically concentrated Irish Moss in tablet form. I use one tablet for 5 gallons in the last 20 minutes of the boil. I have been really pleased with how well it works and it's fairly cheap.

When using Irish Moss, apparently, it seems to be more effective when you hydrate it prior to use. Put a teaspon in a pint or so of water and hydrate it for 15 minutes before adding to the boil.
Prosit,

I use Whirlfloc too. I've noticed a huge difference in the clarity of my beers.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Brewman
Recipes 

Dec 2004
Long Island NY
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been using the moss for years........

Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
andre the giant

Recipes 

May 2005
Southeast Missouri, USA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've used Irish Moss on almost all my all grain batches. I usually pitch it into the boil around 15 minutes before the end. I never rehydrate it first... Maybe I should start doing that....

The beer seems pretty clear, regardless of whether I put IM in it or not. Flavor and body don't seem to suffer either.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 06-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #15
brackbrew
Recipes 

Feb 2005
Lancaster, PA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used Irish Moss in every ale I've ever brewed. While it's supposed to coagulate and settle out proteins at the end of the boil, I still experience a good amount of chill haze. I recently read that whirlfloc tablets are concentrated versions of the active ingredient in irish moss. If you are concerned with clarity, the same source recommends using whirlfloc at the end of the boil along with SuperKleer K.C. and Polyclar in the secondary. Personally, I think it's a matter of brewing technique--i.e. utilizing a full-wort boil if you have the capabilities and having control over your steeping. Check out this month's BYO about steeping specialty grains. If you combine careful steeping with a full wort boil, you'll reduce haze and off-flavors considerably.