Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Water Profile for a Wit
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
ScottD13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 309
Default Water Profile for a Wit

So I'm planning on brewing a Wit on Saturday the 18th. Something simple

7lb Pilsner Malt
7lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Flakes Oats

1.5 oz fresh orange peel
.5 oz crushed coriander

However, I have just moved and need to start building my water from distilled. Here's my question....anyone have a good water recipe for a wit?

I'm thinking it would be soft water and I'll have to use the 5.2 buffer.


ScottD13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
mkade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 192
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I would use soft water for sure. I recently made a wit using a cereal mash that turned out really nicely. I used soft water, added a small amount of calcium chloride for yeast health. I avoided 5.2 because ultimately I was going to be adding lactic acid for some zing, and I wasn't sure how long the phosphate salts remain in solution and buffer the beer (clearly this could neutralize the effects of lactic acid). I'm sure it will turn out fine. I think the finer points of water treatment are less important in a wit, than for example, in an IPA or stout. One other thing, I used grapefruit zest and it worked nicely.


mkade is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,733
Liked 320 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

That sounds like a good idea.

I have not tested my water, but am wondering if it has any traces of chlorine in it, if I would to put some in buckets and have it sit out in the sun for a few days if the chlorine would dissipate and I would have cleaner water.

Kind of like not keeping up the chlorine level in a pool, it depletes pretty quick with some warm weather.
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
ScottD13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkade View Post
I would use soft water for sure. I recently made a wit using a cereal mash that turned out really nicely. I used soft water, added a small amount of calcium chloride for yeast health. I avoided 5.2 because ultimately I was going to be adding lactic acid for some zing, and I wasn't sure how long the phosphate salts remain in solution and buffer the beer (clearly this could neutralize the effects of lactic acid). I'm sure it will turn out fine. I think the finer points of water treatment are less important in a wit, than for example, in an IPA or stout. One other thing, I used grapefruit zest and it worked nicely.
I'm beginning to think about Dortmunder's or Vienna's water profile...maybe Munich.

How'd it go with the grapefruit? How much did you use?

I realized I forgot my hop schedule...ooops but do plan on just a touch of cascade at whirlpool for some additional citrus aromas.

Lactic acid sounds better then the 5.2....good call!
ScottD13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
mkade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 192
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

When I made mine recently, I zested two large grapefruit and probably 5 or 6 tangerines. I have no idea what to think about Cascade as a finishing hop. I'd probably be a little worried about it myself, but I guess it could be prety interesting. You'll have to let me know how that works out if you do it.
mkade is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
mkade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 192
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
That sounds like a good idea.

I have not tested my water, but am wondering if it has any traces of chlorine in it, if I would to put some in buckets and have it sit out in the sun for a few days if the chlorine would dissipate and I would have cleaner water.

Kind of like not keeping up the chlorine level in a pool, it depletes pretty quick with some warm weather.
I've never used them, but people seem to like Camden tablets for this. Seems like a better idea than leaving your water outside.
mkade is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,733
Liked 320 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkade View Post
I've never used them, but people seem to like Camden tablets for this. Seems like a better idea than leaving your water outside.
Well, I have used tap water for all my brews and just added PH 5.2 to the mash and have been fine with that but was just curious. I will test some tap water with my pool kit and see if anything comes up at all. I don't think it is really a traceable amount if it is even there.
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
diatonic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 727
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Well, I have used tap water for all my brews and just added PH 5.2 to the mash and have been fine with that but was just curious. I will test some tap water with my pool kit and see if anything comes up at all. I don't think it is really a traceable amount if it is even there.
You should be able to get your water quality report online from your water company... it will tell you a lot about your tap water.
__________________
.:diatonic:.
1 - Dirty Hippie Hefe (4/17/2015) - Saison Brett (3/21/2014)
2 - Saison inspired mead (6/27/2014) - Sack mead (7/26/2014)
Kegged - Under Pressure Pale Ale (4/4/2015) - Dopplebock (1/22/2015) - Black Widow Kolsch (1/31/2015) - Pious New World (2/6/2015)
My brew rig is pretty much done :) You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs
diatonic is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,733
Liked 320 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Did you every decide on a water profile for your wit? I am doing a wit this weekend and my last one turned out great with my tap water but just wondering if there could be any tweaking.

All my numbers are pretty low except HCO3 which is about 180.

I think I will dilute to soften the water and put a little CaSO4 and CaCl to get the calcium up and balance the SO4 vs CL



humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water profile -how to fix... conpewter All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 72 02-11-2012 06:17 PM
Water profile on bottled water. hukdizzle Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-25-2009 04:44 PM
Water Profile help caraudio90 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 02-12-2009 10:27 PM
My water profile Don All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 02-20-2007 12:20 PM
Water Profile. Orfy General Techniques 6 12-26-2006 08:20 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS