Altbier Münster Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP036
Yeast Starter
2l
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 62
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
see below
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Klaiberhaus Münster Altbier
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.65 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 54.05 %
4.00 lb Wheat Malt (Briess) (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.24 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 38.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (White Labs #WLP036) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Double
Total Grain Weight: 9.25 lb
----------------------------
Decoction Mash, Double
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
35 min Protein Rest Add 4.63 gal of water at 126.6 F 122.0 F
20 min Saccharification Decoct 1.96 gal of mash and boil it 155.0 F
10 min Saccharification Decoct 1.22 gal of mash and boil it 168.0 F

This style can also be soured. I plan on doing a sour version of this next year - sort of a bigger version of a Berliner Weisse. Typical Alt ester profile, but much lighter in color and alcohol.

My batch exhibited a bit of what I can best describe as 'yeast bite', which I'm attributing to the fact that this was the 4th beer I did with the yeast derived from 1 vial of WLP036. Having said that, this is still a beer that I would certainly brew again.

View attachment munster alt.bsm

Did you ever make the sour version of this beer. I want to make something similar to this but was going to use lactobacillus and I'm afraid the IBU's are too high for a good lactic sourness to take hold. Reading the style guidlines for Altbier, I was surprised to see the Munster version can be soured, especially as I was saying before because of their significant bitterness.

Did you ever make the sour version of this beer. I want to make something similar to this but was going to use lactobacillus and I'm afraid the IBU's are too high for a good lactic sourness to take hold. Reading the style guidlines for Altbier, I was surprised to see the Munster version can be soured, especially as I was saying before because of their significant bitterness.

This is an old thread but I am going to be attempting a munster altbier style in about 10 days, after I bottle what is currently in my fermentor. Anyway, I think I may blend a lactobacillus with a high attenuating ale yeast but I don't want the hops as low as most lactic beers. I don't think Munster Altbier is very sour anyway, it has a refreshing tartness but I wouldn't describe it as sour like a Berliner Weiss. Need to call Wyeast to get their take on how I intend to use it and what results I can expect with the IBU's in my recipe. Wondering if an Acidulated malt addition would work as well. So many questions. :confused:

perhaps adding ~ .5 lb of acidulated malt would help if your lacto's having a hard time. also, adding in lacto after you rack may help

Back