Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DOH! dropped a turkey baster in my beer!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default DOH! dropped a turkey baster in my beer!

i was just using a turkey baster to draw a sample of my English Brown Ale from my fermenter to test the gravity and make sure that it has hit its target gravity and i squeezed too hard on the turkey baster and the rubber part that u squeeze detached from the other part and the plastic piece fell into my beer so not even thinking i reached in and grabbed it out! i hope this doesnt infect my beer, its been sitting in the fermenter for 8 days now and i was planning on letting it sit in there for another week or so before bottling. my hands are clean i was just washing stuff in pretty hot water in my sink, what do you guys think the chances of me contaminating my beer are?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

relax, many around here have done worse and had great beer. anything is possible, but i think your beer will be fine, especially since it has basically finished fermenting.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
I love making Beer
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very little chance. It is pretty hard to mess up a beer and lots of folks around here have put their arms in. I think you will be fine, just call you beer Hairy Arm Brown Ale.
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Think back to brewing back in its first couple dozen centuries of brewing. Do you believe our ancestors were the most hygenic people? If beer were so fragile that simple mistakes could easily result in failure then I'd bet people would not have continued brewing. The fact is that it is hard screw up brewing. Does that mean that mistake don't happen? Nope...they do. But odds are dropping a turkey baster and grabbing it from the wort will not result in a problem. It might...but odds are it wont.