My 30th birthday was the 24th of February, and I decided I'd give this a shot.
I couldn't tell you why, but I decided to jump straight at a 10 gallon version of this. At 100 bucks, this was the most pricey batch I've ever attempted.
Since I was just shopping at the local homebrew place (hopsandberries.com is a great place to have), I had a to make a couple adjustments.
22lbs of German Pilsner
5lbs of Beet Sugar (Eastern Colorado still grows sugar beets
Hops and Spices
2 ounces of Styrian Goldings for 60 minutes
4 ounces of Saaz for 15 minutes
23g of Coriander @ 10 mins
8g of Fresh Grated Ginger @10 mins (I squeezed the juice out the ginger before weighing)
8g of Paradise Grains @10 mins (crazy expensive locally)
2 packs of S-04 and 2 packs of WLP570 dumped into a growler half full of 1.040 strenght DME wort. Stirred throughout the brew day and pitched six hours later.
The Experimental Mash
I have a cooler with a SS braid at the bottom and I've never had a problem until this brew.
I tried to mash at 144 with half the usual mash water, then I was going to add warmer water and bring the temp up to 154 for the second half of the 90 minute mash.
I hit my temps ok but the mash was as thick as oatmeal at first and I had to stir a bunch to get the temps right. Instead of pretty grains floating in water, it just looked like sludge.
The Disasterous Sparge
This was my first stuck sparge ever and it was a pain in the butt. An hour of struggling and blowing hot tap water back into the mash I finally got the bed floating again and drained off 15 gallons of work.
Boil, Cool and Pitch
I usually only do 12, but I knew my effeciency was going to be weak. I did a 90 minute boil instead of my usual 60 and ended with a gravity of 1.065 which wasn't great but I've missed by more. I cooled to 80 degrees, pitched, and showed up late to my surprise party. I used some Fermcap to keep it from blowing over.
When I got back five hours later, both carboys were bubbling so hard I thought they were going to push the blowoff hoses out of the airlock bucket. Since it is February in Colorado, I locked them in the bathroom with a space heater. They have been sitting at 78 - 82 ever since then. 48 hours and they are still bubbling strong. I've got my fingers crossed, I'm hoping this works out well.
Thanks for the recipe. I was enjoying Tremens while brewing this, I've got a few of the ceramic painted bottles here and I'm going to attempt bottling in them and then waxing the tops rather than foil.