Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > quick question about adding Hops to wort

Old 04-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
ZBrewMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default quick question about adding Hops to wort

Hey all,

I thought I made my first two batches without any major mistakes, but now I know I made a fairly significant mistake.... but just how big?

My batches were extract kits from Brewer's Best (American Amber and California Imperial Pale Ale) and I used a full boil (I have a 9g pot). The instructions called for a partial 3g grain steep, and wort brew. I've recently read about full boils creating a greater hop utilization among other factors.

How much would these two mistakes affect my final beer:

1) Full 5g Steeping of crystal malt grains
2) Full 5g Boil of hops when directions call for 3g boil

A little worried about the results.....

(On a side note, I want to thank all the experienced posters who come to this board and answer all of the n00b's questions like mine. You guys are the reason this board rocks! )

Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

i fail to see how useing more water to disolve hop flavors is going hurt your utilization
it will increase it a bit, the change will be very slite.. remember hop flavor fades with time, fairly quick really so if you do brew a beer that has too strong a hop character
just wate a few weeks - months and try it again

Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
ZBrewMan
Recipes 

That's true.... I was just worried I was gonna burn my tongue off with hops. Thanks.