AHS American Amber $0.50 beer series Extract - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AHS American Amber $0.50 beer series Extract

Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
kaiser423
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just cracked my first bottle of Austin Homebrew American Amber.

I left in the primary 3-4 weeks, and it's been in the bottle carbonating for two. Carbonation was still a little low (they've been at 60-63), but very tolerable.

Gave a sip to my wife (whom I fell in love with at first sight; she was wearing an I heart beer shirt).

She immediately guessed IPA. Welp, lesson learned there! It was my first boil, and I didn't adjust the hop schedule. Came out quite hoppy, buy very good.

I'm extremely happy with the results, especially since this was their $0.50 beer series. Total cost was $25 for the ingredients, and $8 for the liquid yeast (which I forgot to wash).

Anyways, I have to say that it is quite good. I am extremely pleased with the results. The only possible complaint that I may have is that it was a bit thin of flavor (might be the hops overpowering though). I think that if you did something similar to a batch sparge on the flavor grains that that would do it.

Quite happy! I cracked one to taste, and I'm about ready to raid all the rest.

I also did their Brown in the series, and that's being bottled this weekend. I adjusted the hop schedule some (used all the hops still, but put less in the boil, and more in the aroma stage). Tasting this, I probably didn't adjust it enough and I'll have a hoppy brown, but that's fine.

I'll let everyone know how that one comes out, since I can't find many reviews on the $0.50 beer series. I adjusted the hop schedule, and did a batch sparge on the steeping grains, so we'll see how that works out!

I have to say that if you want a cheap beer that's pretty quick and easy to make, I'm pretty impressed with the extract kits in the $0.50 line. Next round, I'm doing a porter recipe from here, but I might try their hefe partial mash kit in that series.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Very nice to know. I keep looking at those beers but have a bit of a brewing backlog right now. We are always taking kegs to parties so I like to have a nice beer for the masses that doesn't cost an arm and leg. I've never been disappointed with any AHS kit but I had wondered about these.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
kaiser423
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

As far as I can tell, the main difference between their standard American Amber and their $0.50 American Amber is that the $0.50 has a lower ABV (less extract, so lower OG). Other than that, they're nearly identical.

Same with the brown.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

May 2008
Springfield, MA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser423 View Post
I have to say that if you want a cheap beer that's pretty quick and easy to make, I'm pretty impressed with the extract kits in the $0.50 line. Next round, I'm doing a porter recipe from here, but I might try their hefe partial mash kit in that series.
The AHS Hefeweizen partial mash with Wyeast 3068 is really good .

Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
kaiser423
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefarmer View Post
The AHS Hefeweizen partial mash with Wyeast 3068 is really good .
SWMBO and her friends have loved just about every hefe they've tried, so I might just have to give that one a shot.

Edit: Which one are you looking at? I'm thinking about putting in an order today, since if I can keep the SWMBO in hefe throughout the summer, I think that it will be a good summer!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
tenglert
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Hattiesburg MS, Mississippi

I bottled a batch of their Session Series American Brown Ale a week ago. I did the mini-mash with dry yeast. So far it's pretty good. Light in body and relatively low alcohol. It's a little too bitter, but it's still green. I think it will age very well. I was looking for a good, refreshing summer beer, and this seems to fit the bill.

I just wish they would include the dry yeast in their price with an option to upgrade. It's still a good deal though.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

May 2008
Springfield, MA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser423 View Post
SWMBO and her friends have loved just about every hefe they've tried, so I might just have to give that one a shot.

Edit: Which one are you looking at? I'm thinking about putting in an order today, since if I can keep the SWMBO in hefe throughout the summer, I think that it will be a good summer!
Bavarian Hefeweizen