Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Your favorite Melomel
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
digdan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 503
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Your favorite Melomel

Once the fruit season is in full effect I'm headed to orchards, but I have yet to decide what kind of melomel to make.

I need input on personal experiences and successes with melomels. What was the tastiest melomel you've made/had, and what were the pitfalls you ran into

I'm open for anything, citrus, berry, melon or otherwise.


digdan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
gratus fermentatio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 10,434
Liked 1593 Times on 955 Posts
Likes Given: 4117

Default

I made a plum melomel from black & Italian plums that just ROCKS! Double additions of fruit (1st in primary, 2nd in secondary), Just the right level of tartness, Beautiful red color from the skins, 12% ABV & goes down real smooth. It took 2 years before it was drinkable though, mostly due to the wildflower honey I used. Use clover, or alfalfa honey & it might be ready quicker. Everyone who tasted it just raved about it. I'll be making it again this year for certain, maybe a double batch.

If you're wanting to try a citrus melomel, I'd use zest only If I were you; I learned the hard way that the juice adds very little flavour to a mead, but it adds a great deal of acid. I've got a blackberry melomel going now, I'll let you know how it turns out in about a year & a half. Regards, GF.


gratus fermentatio is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,673
Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Default

I've done well with blackberries, but most years I have a lot of blackberries to experiment with. I've made multiple batches of blackberry 'cider', by fermenting the crushed berries; then I add the honey to part of the crop.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk
david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
JarrodH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 258
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I did a Strawberry melomel last year when the price of Strawberries went way down that was really good.

Recipe I followed:

Strawberry Melomel

Ingredients:

9 lbs orange blossom Honey
1 lb clover honey
12 lb strawberries
Sweet Mead Yeast (White labs)

Procedure:

Clean and hull the strawberries; chop into a few pieces. (Don't crush
them or you'll have an impossible mess at racking.) Put them into a
sanitized plastic-pail primary.

Bring 2 gallons of water to a full boil. Remove from heat and
immediately add the honey; stir thoroughly. (This will sterilize the
honey without cooking the flavor out of it.) Cool to about 150-160F,
pour over the berries in the primary fermenter with 2 gallons more of cold water. Cool to pitching temperature (below 80F) and add yeast starter. Stir thoroughly to mix and aerate.

After 5 days, push the floating mass of strawberries down into the
fermenting mead (the equivalent of a winemaker's "punching down the
cap").

After the strawberries have become very pale--probably ten days or more-
- strain out as much of the strawberry mass as possible, then rack into
a glass carboy. Be prepared for the racking tube to clog. (A stainless
"Chore Boy" over the bottom end of the tube will help.)
JarrodH is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
digdan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 503
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Does the flavor of strawberries carry through? Was this a medium, dry, or a sweet melomel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodH View Post
I did a Strawberry melomel last year when the price of Strawberries went way down that was really good.

Recipe I followed:

Strawberry Melomel

Ingredients:

9 lbs orange blossom Honey
1 lb clover honey
12 lb strawberries
Sweet Mead Yeast (White labs)

Procedure:

Clean and hull the strawberries; chop into a few pieces. (Don't crush
them or you'll have an impossible mess at racking.) Put them into a
sanitized plastic-pail primary.

Bring 2 gallons of water to a full boil. Remove from heat and
immediately add the honey; stir thoroughly. (This will sterilize the
honey without cooking the flavor out of it.) Cool to about 150-160F,
pour over the berries in the primary fermenter with 2 gallons more of cold water. Cool to pitching temperature (below 80F) and add yeast starter. Stir thoroughly to mix and aerate.

After 5 days, push the floating mass of strawberries down into the
fermenting mead (the equivalent of a winemaker's "punching down the
cap").

After the strawberries have become very pale--probably ten days or more-
- strain out as much of the strawberry mass as possible, then rack into
a glass carboy. Be prepared for the racking tube to clog. (A stainless
"Chore Boy" over the bottom end of the tube will help.)
digdan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2,787
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Only have done a few so far but the black raspberry melomel is easily my favorite. Ofcourse for that one I picked my own fresh berries and used locally produced unprocessed honey, so the ingredients were much higher quality than my other attempts. However this one is so good I will definitely be picking black raspberries again this summer for another batch.

Craig
CBBaron is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
digdan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 503
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Blackberry sounds like something that will make my list. I would assume you use blackberry honey as well?

Anyone got a kickass blackberry melomel recipe they would like to share?
digdan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdan View Post
Blackberry sounds like something that will make my list. I would assume you use blackberry honey as well?

Anyone got a kickass blackberry melomel recipe they would like to share?

Blackberry is my favorite as well, in either wine or mead. No need to use expensive blackberry blossom honey. I like to use about 3 pounds of berries and about 1.75 quarts of honey per gallon to get to about 1.090. Follow the appropriate nutrient addition guidelines and, aside from possibly adding more or less berries in the primary and some more berries in the secondary and oak during bulk aging, that's pretty much all the recipe I use.
summersolstice is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #9
JarrodH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 258
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdan View Post
Does the flavor of strawberries carry through? Was this a medium, dry, or a sweet melomel?
You do get a good strawberry aroma as well as a strawberry flavor. It came out really good for being my second mead. Edit: it came out pretty medium as far as the sweetness, but still can kick your butt. The sweet mead yeast stopped at a good spot.

JarrodH is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Poobah58's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 2,271
Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Blackberry is my favorite as well, in either wine or mead. No need to use expensive blackberry blossom honey. I like to use about 3 pounds of berries and about 1.75 quarts of honey per gallon to get to about 1.090. Follow the appropriate nutrient addition guidelines and, aside from possibly adding more or less berries in the primary and some more berries in the secondary and oak during bulk aging, that's pretty much all the recipe I use.
Hey SS, I have a Blackberry aging right now (4 months). I have some medium toast oak cubes. Is an ounce good for a 3-gallon batch?

PS sorry for the hijack.


__________________
Mead Lane Brewing
The liver is evil and must be punished
Poobah58 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blueberry Melomel help TipsyDragon Mead Forum 10 11-03-2009 05:26 PM
Loquat Melomel petes Mead Forum 2 10-24-2008 06:37 AM
Pineapple Melomel scox80 Mead Forum 8 05-26-2008 06:42 PM
Melomel Q Cheesefood Mead Forum 8 05-24-2007 06:59 AM
Melomel chips7297 Mead Forum 1 07-19-2006 11:18 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS