I made sausage over the weekend - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > I made sausage over the weekend

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Laurel
 
Laurel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,499
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts



And I'm feeling a little queasy. Click link for the whole story.


Home in Disarray: Sausage



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Posts: 4,474
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


Nice write-up! I also make sausage from time to time, and I have to agree: dealing with those casings is a pain. They DO smell bad, they ARE creepy to handle, and it can be quite difficult to get them onto the stuffing tube in one piece. You're not done then, at that point you have to manage to get them filled without any blow-outs or tears. It's definitely a two-person job, one to feed the grinder and the other to mind the casings.

Now I usually skip the casings, and just make patties or wrap the bulk sausage up in 1lb packages to freeze.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Laurel
 
Laurel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,499
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
Nice write-up! I also make sausage from time to time, and I have to agree: dealing with those casings is a pain. They DO smell bad, they ARE creepy to handle, and it can be quite difficult to get them onto the stuffing tube in one piece. You're not done then, at that point you have to manage to get them filled without any blow-outs or tears. It's definitely a two-person job, one to feed the grinder and the other to mind the casings.

Now I usually skip the casings, and just make patties or wrap the bulk sausage up in 1lb packages to freeze.
That's a good method. I just don't think I can get past it the smell. Although my casings were very strong, and fairly thick. Maybe that was part of the problem with the chewiness, I don't remember commercial sausages that I've had having casings that were quite so thick.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
r2eng
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Eagle, Idaho, Idaho
Posts: 1,479
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts


If your casing smell, you do not have ones that have either been cleaned right, or kept right. Our family has made sausage for decades, and I have for the better part of 30 years, and I have worked at packing plants that clean and salt casings. Take my word for it: They shouldn't smell!

If you need recipes, let me know... got a ton of 'em! Oh, and try making Bratwurst and making the patties as mentioned above... serve as burgers with onion and mustard... wow!

edit: http://www.sausagemaker.com/ his book is good, but salt-heavy.
__________________
Engineer, Animator, Brewer.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,750
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts


+1 that the casings shouldn't smell that bad. They don't sell great, but htey shoul not be offensive smelling. Thy should b in a nice brine solution and you should keep them refrigraed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
mmb
Jazz Hands!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
WBMI
Posts: 30,075
Liked 4007 Times on 3763 Posts


I've always found it easier to get the natural casings on and filling them with "THAT" hand motion.

I suppose all that practice in grade school payed off.


__________________
Black Phantom Brewing Company

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Laurel
 
Laurel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,499
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


These casings were packed in salt. After my troubles getting the kitchenaid to stuff them though, I'd be perfectly happy just making patties and meatballs out of them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,486
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
If your casing smell, you do not have ones that have either been cleaned right, or kept right. Our family has made sausage for decades, and I have for the better part of 30 years, and I have worked at packing plants that clean and salt casings. Take my word for it: They shouldn't smell!

If you need recipes, let me know... got a ton of 'em! Oh, and try making Bratwurst and making the patties as mentioned above... serve as burgers with onion and mustard... wow!

edit: The Sausage Maker, Inc. - Sausage Making Equipment & Supplies his book is good, but salt-heavy.
We tried it once and it all came out dry. I am guessing it was our choice of meat. What cuts do you recommend?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
pjj2ba's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,382
Liked 205 Times on 167 Posts


I used my kitchenaid just once to stuff, then I bought a dedicated stuffer. With all that plastic and all that fat, even cold, I ended up basically using the plunger to push the meat through. Not fun.
__________________
On Tap: Doppelbock O'fest, Pale Ale, cider
Kegged and Aging/Lagering: CAP, Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), CZ Pils, Amer. Wheat, Rye IPA, Saison
Secondary:
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Brewing Clamper
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Posts: 2,846
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
We tried it once and it all came out dry. I am guessing it was our choice of meat. What cuts do you recommend?
Can't be shy with this stuff, you need fat. Add some back fat to the meat and you'll bet nice tender links... yumm... I used to make sausage more often before the ankle bitters started roaming this place... Gotta get into it again...


__________________
--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Sausage PeteOz77 Cooking & Pairing 35 05-16-2011 01:21 AM
Homemade Sausage Matt Up North Cooking & Pairing 13 08-30-2009 10:08 PM
Pickled Sausage Schlenkerla Cooking & Pairing 50 08-05-2009 04:53 AM
Liquid Sausage shagington Recipes/Ingredients 2 02-22-2009 02:02 PM
Made myself a "proper" mash tun this weekend phissionkorps All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 11-10-2008 03:22 PM


Forum Jump