Near Blowoff with Edworts Apfewein - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Near Blowoff with Edworts Apfewein

Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
DSeibel
Recipes 

Feb 2009

Guys,

I made a batch of Edworts Apfelwein on THursday and by Sunday I was getting alot of foam in the airlock. I made a 6 gallon batch and left about 4-5 inches airspace. Fearing a catastrophe I installed a blowoff tube and now seems to be under control. Is this normal. I know on Edworts recipe it says not to worry about this as it doesnt form a krauzen, however mine has formed a very thick layer of foam...to the top of the carboy. Here is what I did.

6 gallons pastuerized, no additives, no sugar apple juice. (6.5 Gallon carboy)
1kg dextrose
1 pack Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Temp is about 21 Degrees C.

Thanks

Dave

Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Edwort used Montrachet to ferment his Apfelwein not EC-1118, that must have made a difference. I used EC-1118 and although Lalvin's website says it produces "low foam" I left a generous amount of head space because I had never used the stuff before. It didn't create quite as much foam as yours must have, but I'm only making 1100mL of the stuff and it probably produced 3/4 of an inch or so at peak production.

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Spring Valley, Ohio
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

That would be the ec 1118, ed doesn't get any krauzen because of his yeast choice. Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

Yeah, I've used Munton's Ale Yeast and Montrachet, and never gotten much more than a thin layer of bubbles. I'd guess it's the specific yeast strain you used.

Good call installing the blowoff tube. Your apfelwein will be fine.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I use EC-1118 quite a bit. it can get pretty rambunctious somtimes
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 08-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
jellis1616
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Helena MT

I am going to do pretty much the same thing this weekend. Being as we are using 6 gallons pastuerized, no additives, no sugar apple juice do I need to worry about campden? If so when and why?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
chefmike
Recipes 

Dec 2007
north Georgia
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis1616 View Post
I am going to do pretty much the same thing this weekend. Being as we are using 6 gallons pastuerized, no additives, no sugar apple juice do I need to worry about campden? If so when and why?

no, because the juice is pastureized. You would use compden tablets if you were using a fresh pressed cider and trying to kill off wild yeasts to give your domestic strain a headstart.

But fresh pressed cider is rare these days. Highly worth it. I like using honey with it.
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven