Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > San Fran Lager Yeast

Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
DougBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default San Fran Lager Yeast

Ok, so I know that these guys can ferment at ale temps, but if that is done... is it an ale or a lager? I mean it's lager yeast, right?

I ask only because I recently brewed my first lager only to find out that neither my primary or secondary fit into my make shift lagerator (I know... if I had a brain, I'd be dangerous). Anyways, my buds come over and they ask me what I've got on tap and the best answer I could come up with was, "Well, if I had to guess... I'd say it's beer."

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 75

You're referring to California common or steam beer. It's fermented with lager yeast at ale temperatures, resulting in a unique flavor profile.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBrew View Post
Ok, so I know that these guys can ferment at ale temps, but if that is done... is it an ale or a lager?
It's a steam beer, which many people consider the only truly American style of beer. BJCP calls it a "hybrid" style (though they also incorrectly assume that any steam/Cali common should be a clone of Anchor steam when really it's just another way of making a wide variety of beers).
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 9 Posts

The yeast strain, despite temperature, is still a lager strain...

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just keep in mind that the recommended temps for those two yeasts are 58-65/68 so if you ferment it in the low 70s ambient, like many hombrewers tend to ferment their ales, you're going to get some funky byproducts.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
DougBrew
Recipes 

I generally kept the temp down in the 60's and it tastes just fine. Interesting, I'll have to call the boys up and let them know what they drank this weekend.