Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > racking help

Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
nutcase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default racking help

Everytime I rack - about a half inch or so from the racking inlet on my autosiphon I start getting lots of bubbles then it stops- even though the racking inlet is still well under liquid (about 1/2 inch under). so i end up losing about a gallon of beer because I can't get it to rack the rest up. what am I doing wrong?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

racking from kettle, or into bottling bucket?

from kettle, simply before you cool it, stir it in a circular motion and all of the trub will be in the middle and you won't get any trub.

from fermenter to bottling bucket you will always lose some beer, but a gallon is an awful lot.

i would put it more than 1/2 inch under water, make sure there are no hole and the hose is attached to the racking cane securly.

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah from fermenter to secondary or keg/bottle bucket. I have it as far under as it will go - it seems like a lot of extra beer being left. maybe thats just the way the racking canes work? I'm kind of bummed cause i think this beer (edworts Stone IPA clone) turned out really freakin awesome and i only got about 4 gallons of it.

Its not a matter of the trub- I lost at least 2/3rd or more of a gallon that was on top of the trub that I couldnt pick up.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You might try delicately tilting the fermentation bucket to one side while trying not to disturb the yeast cake.
I have personally made the decision not to over-worry about getting an absolutely clean rack. I do my best but I am not willing to sacrifice good beer to accomplish that.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tilt the vessle you are racking from. It might be nice to have a friend help the first time you do this because there are a lot of thinks that you have to watch. And DO NOT TILT the container until you get within an inch or so of the inlet otherwise you are asking for a spill.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didnt even think about tilting but it seems so obvious now. thanks!