I preparation for a 50 gallon barlywine project that my homebrew club is doing on May 2nd I added a few things to my rig so that I can brew most of it at one time.
Yesterday was the first run for this new gear. It went better then I thought it would.. lol
First I got it all set up and ready.
I then heated 14 gallons to 180* using my flash boiler (the rocket ship looking thing on the right). I then transferred the water to my holding tank (the green 20 gallon cooler)
I let it sit in there while eriktlupus and I finished crushing the last 50 pounds of grain.
Then I transferred that water to the 55 gallon MLT (the gray duct tape thing on the left sitting on the bricks) to preheat that.
Here is the inside of the MLT.
I let that water sit in there until the strike water was up to temp. To do this we used the FB to heat the water as it was going into the HLT. Then we drained that into the holding tank and repeated this. to get the volume that we needed.
I calculated the water temp needed to be at 166* so we started at 176*. After the water was transferred to the MLT we checked the temp. We were at 169*. With the mash paddle we mixed the water until it hit the 166. This only took a few minutes. then we added the 70 pounds of grain. Mike dumped the grain as I stirred.
I was only able to check the temp 4 inches down and at that I was at 149* so I called it close enough. We put the lid on it and set the timer for 60 minutes.