Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Collect runnings now, boil later?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Collect runnings now, boil later?

So usually it takes me about 5.5 - 6 hours to brew, but I've got a softball game (with beer of course) today in the middle of the day. Is it okay if I do my mash and collect all my runnings in the bucket now, then take a 3-4 hour break and boil it this evening? Any negatives?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
We get it, you hate BMC.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The one problem with that is you may develop an infection during that time. Of course you would kill it off when you boiled but it might already have created a funk by then. It is actually one of the shortcuts to try to simulate a sour beer. If you are able to heat it just to pasteurize it before you leave it for a few hours and keep the lid on, then come back and do your boil you should be fine. Just bring it to a momentary boil, and it should take so long to cool that it will pasteurize it.
SEMPER FIDELIS ET SEMPER PARATUS Bringin' the 'pane...the propane.Coming Up:..[Hefewiezen][BCS Robust Porter][EdWort's Haus Pale Ale][Peated Ale]
Conditioning:[Oaked Cider][ESB]
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]