Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #201
wrkrB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Excellent post on this topic with great pics here: Stark Raven Mead. I regularly reference the image of the honey at different stages when I'm cooking my "Creme Brew".

I typically scorch 10# of Costco Clover to the color indicated at about 90 or 120 minutes in the above post, and then put 5# of raw honey in a 5 gallon batch with Lalvin 1116 yeast. Comes out pretty sweet, so I call it my Creme Brew since the flavor is reminiscent of creme brulee. In my last batch, I also added some tea (English Breakfast) to give it a little dryness/tannins as well as provide additional nutrients for the yeast since I don't use a yeast nutrient (migraine issues). That came out really well, although it is still definitely more of a dessert drink.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #202
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I would need to taste this first. Some things are not well known for very good reasons sometimes

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #203
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Subbed... Gotta brew some bochet mead for full flavor effect.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #204
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A fellow chef of mine accidentally came up with a sauce after he over caramelized a honey reduction. He called it burnt honey Sriracha, which is amazingly delicious. I am definitely going to to try this with a gallon of alfalfa honey I bought a few days ago. Maybe I will just caramelize half of the gallon.
Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #205
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkrB
Excellent post on this topic with great pics here: Stark Raven Mead. I regularly reference the image of the honey at different stages when I'm cooking my "Creme Brew".

I typically scorch 10# of Costco Clover to the color indicated at about 90 or 120 minutes in the above post, and then put 5# of raw honey in a 5 gallon batch with Lalvin 1116 yeast. Comes out pretty sweet, so I call it my Creme Brew since the flavor is reminiscent of creme brulee. In my last batch, I also added some tea (English Breakfast) to give it a little dryness/tannins as well as provide additional nutrients for the yeast since I don't use a yeast nutrient (migraine issues). That came out really well, although it is still definitely more of a dessert drink.
You are on a completely different level...lol

Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #206
dannylerch
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I really want to try this, but i don't plan on scorching. I'm just gonna caramelize some, maybe to a redish brown, not black. I feel like some of the translation is lost. It says blackish, not black like tar. blackish probably means a dark redish brown. As I imagine they may not of had the word brown back then.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #207
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the directions i read which was from a 1543 booklet said to cook till ye seeth black puffs breaking forth from the froth.

i went pretty darn close to this. the fumes were soo over powering and my pot somewhat deep, i really couldn't tell what color the steam/smoke was.

when it appeared to be bluish colored i decided it probably would appear black if in a shallower vessel so i cut heat.

good luck it has a great smell to it coming from the air lock.
though mine is a hybrid sort with barley malt mixed in.
i had a very difficult time getting fermentation going on this style.

GD

Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #208
centworthy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoife3Sheets
The Bee Folks honey company has a Meadowfoam honey, made from mallow plants. It tastes like marshmallow fluff. Could be amazing as a backsweetener...

I'm going to try this soon, but am going old school with it. I already have all the spices needed, so why not?
Oooooo will have to keep this in mind, have a bochet in the carboy now (3 months old)

Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #209
ccabman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

This sounds amazing. I am most definitely going to add this to my todo list. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #210
rstanavech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm, toasted marshmallows you say? May have to jump on the wagon on this as well.