Another WTF moment - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Another WTF moment

Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
jmulligan

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Odenton, MD
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Would you ask Charlie Papazian how to get a sanke tap onto your Miller Lite keg?

Exactly.

I am going to see EO Wilson give a lecture this evening. If you don't know who EO Wilson is (and most people outside of science/biology don't), he is the grandaddy of sociobiology, a very important and fascinating field, and an accomplished and highly regarded entomologist.

A co-worker of mine plans to attend as well...and plans to ask Dr. Wilson how to get rid of the ants in her kitchen.

WTF????

Seriously, talk to a goddamn exterminator. I know he's an expert in ant behavior, but get some freaking boric acid and don't harass him with stupid questions.

Sorry - this just pissed me off. I am more uptight about it than he would be, I'm sure.

That is all.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Chester, VA
Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions."

-Mr. Handy

Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Manchvegas, NH
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wasn't this the plot of this week's Family Guy?

Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

It seems like a common thing.

Years ago I got the opportunity to see the Chief of Naval Operations speak (more like I was "volunteered" to attend). This is for those who don't know the senior active duty leader in the Navy.

When it came time for Q & A, people asked silly questions left and right. Questions that could have been answered by people a lot farther down in the Chain of Command, questions that could have been found by reading, and questions about changing policies that he had absolutely no control over.

If I were you, I'd try to tie your co-worker up in a closet for the duration of the presentation, or sit as far away from her as possible to avoid the glaring stares and head shaking that is sure to come.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
jmulligan

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Odenton, MD
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggie View Post
Wasn't this the plot of this week's Family Guy?
Yes, but without the benefit of Patrick Stewart OR those awesome skin-rash questions.

McKBrew - I think I will do that (sit far from her, she's not my favorite person as it is). Hopefully she won't be completely ridiculous and ask in front of the entire assembly. I think she means to corner him afterward. Maybe I can beat her to the punch and start asking about something more engrossing that he could be long-winded about.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
XXguy

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Southeastern PA
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion View Post
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions."

-Mr. Handy
The line as I've heard it is: "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there's certainly no shortage of inquisitive idiots".

Old 04-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

And wasn't it Jack Handy?

Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Providence, RI
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulligan View Post
Would you ask Charlie Papazian how to get a sanke tap onto your Miller Lite keg?

Exactly.

I am going to see EO Wilson give a lecture this evening. If you don't know who EO Wilson is (and most people outside of science/biology don't), he is the grandaddy of sociobiology, a very important and fascinating field, and an accomplished and highly regarded entomologist.

A co-worker of mine plans to attend as well...and plans to ask Dr. Wilson how to get rid of the ants in her kitchen.

WTF????

Seriously, talk to a goddamn exterminator. I know he's an expert in ant behavior, but get some freaking boric acid and don't harass him with stupid questions.

Sorry - this just pissed me off. I am more uptight about it than he would be, I'm sure.

That is all.
I wouldn't worry about it, my girlfriend interviewed James Watson when she was at MIT and apparently he was far more interested in her breasts than answering questions about DNA.

Maybe an extermination question is gonna interest him far more than the standard fare of questions.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
GearBeer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How foolish! He should have kept his eye on the ball. By studying her DNA he could recreate her breasts!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
menschmaschine

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Delaware
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulligan View Post
Seriously, talk to a goddamn exterminator.
The exterminator will just recommend a treatment program whereby he has to come out weekly in order to really get rid of the ants.

I hear you though. Some people just have no cooth. If I were him, I'd answer her by telling her that studies have shown that putting up tiny little signs that read "No ants permitted" around the perimeter of the house has proven effective.