Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback > FAQ Open! Need Help!!!

Old 12-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
TxBrew
Dr. Mantis
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 892

Default FAQ Open! Need Help!!!

I have setup the first test version of the FAQ software. I hope to build an FAQ archive filled with great information.

I need some help deciding more topics and also need some FAQ's written for content and testing.

Any comments are appreciated and please feel free to add FAQ or suggest topics.

http://www.homebrewfaq.com/

Old 01-06-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
kerryhughes1
Recipes 

Default Homebrew Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
I have setup the first test version of the FAQ software. I hope to build an FAQ archive filled with great information.

I need some help deciding more topics and also need some FAQ's written for content and testing.

http://faq.homebrewtalk.com/
I'd just suggest that you list a source of good homebrew books. I just bottled my first Imperial Stout (very yummy by the way ... though I cheated and cracked a bottle open after a week). I want to learn more about how to design my own brews ... particularly with special grain mixed with extract. Even wine books would be helpful as .. can't we make wine in this fine equipment we have for fermenting beer? I'd love to see some good books recommended!

Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
yodar
Recipes 

Default Strike Temp

Quote:

Achieving desired mash temp for those of us without Promash, etc. can be a real excerise unless we have some hints. 5 AG batches before a seasoned brewer said I wouldnt harm my Amylase if I stike'ed at 175 degrees (higher than what the books say)

This definitely is a topic that will recur

I am am ex-biology teacher whose research was mycology (fungi) and frequently questions on identifying floating patches as contaminants or happy yeasties come up a lot too. Unfortunately, This is HARD to answer with certainty

Yodar

Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Witbier
Recipes 

How about a section on converting Sankey kegs into brewing vessels. There are a number of useful web sites you could link to if nothing else. Maybe a few tips on how to legally obtain kegs would be helpful as well?

Old 01-27-2005, 01:49 AM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:

Wow!! that looks great!
I'm a nOOb so I'll be learning more than suggesting/helping, but great addition to the forum!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-31-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
rooftopbrew
Recipes 

Default Carbonation, Kegging

From participating in other forums, it seems that some frequent subjects are carbonation, bottling, and kegging.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
TxBrew
Dr. Mantis
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 892

I helped design it so users could submit questions they get asked often. On a lot of other forums I am on people seem to ask the same questions over and over. I thought creating that would allow those questions to be answered with a link instead of having to reply each time. I'm not a very good writer but when I get some free time I am going to start writing a lot more. Feel free to submit any questions you get asked often and know the answer to.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

This is a real good idea, I've been known to post a repeated thread once and a while, my suggestion is to put the link in a larger more visible spot I saw it never clicked on it until right now.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:44 AM   #9
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I think one on sanitation would be excellent. Being a newb myself I did a lot of reading on home brewing and learned much but sanitation although discussed as very important I've yet to see writeups that are more specific on procedures. The anal sorts (like me) question if I'm going overboard on cleaning.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #10
Mark
Recipes 

I'd like to know about what makes beer, not just how to make it.
This is so that I can be a bit more experimental.
And I don't mean likes of 125gm this and that then ferment and dance in a circle unless it's a Tuesday level of detail, more like

Beer comes from putting malt extract with hops in water with yeast.
Alcohol content is controlled by:
Bitterness by:
Maltieness by:

Eg for dark beer you want roughtly the following proportions for a 5 gallon brew:

There are x tyes of hops, adding type 1 makes the beer more ABC
There are y types of malt extract, adding type 1 to a dark beer will make it more ABC and therefore taste like DEF, so it might be a god idea to add some...

Maybe I'm asking a bit much if you were to cover every type of beer but a few basics might be helpful. For me, half the fun is experimenting and tweaking basic beers.

Great forum
Thanks!