stuck ferment at same spot twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrbeers

Reaction score
this was my first try at an all grain brew, i'm making a beltian white. I used 6 lbs 2-row, 3 lbs malted wheat, 1 lb 20l crystal... mashed at 155 for an hour. I had a lot of screw ups, i had a stuck runoff and screwed around a bunch trying to restart it probably got bad efficiency.. anyways my OG was 1.039 and it fermented like crazy for 24 hours down to 1.022.. then stopped and stuck there for 3 days.. i tried rousing the yeast a few times during that, but nothing happened.. so then i brewed up 1 gallon of extra wort with light dme and put in some yeast energizer and brought it back to 1.03 and it fermented good back down to 1.022 and stuck again... is that all i'm going to get out of it?? is that just unfermentable sugars or what.?

That is what it really looks like if it keeps hitting that wall. 155 is kind of high for a wit, so I could see some unfermentables in there, but at 1.039 I would have thought it would have gone lower.

Sure your thermometer is good and it was not even higher than that?

yeah it could have been higher than that and my thermometor could have been screwy.. i had to use a goofy thermometor from a turkey cooker i bought because my other one shattered just before the brew... it could have got hotter than that a couple times.. i'm going to install a good thermometor into the kettle next time...

Back