Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wort Chilling set up question

Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
gpfeifer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort Chilling set up question

Hey all-

I am moving to all-grain brewing and in the process of setting up my brewery. I decided to go with a Shirron plate chiller but am now trying to figure out how best to feed the wort through it. I have read some of the threads posted on this but am still not clear on the best method. Should I buy a pump or does gravity do the trick just fine?

If gravity works, how would I properly set things up so that I can use gravity? I am not building a rig (not yet anyway) so I need some way of setting up the gravity feed through the chiller that is easy to break down but still effective. any advice would help.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Ewalk02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have my plate chiller set up to use gravity and it works amazing! Since you don't have a rig I would just build a stand out of 2x4's and mount it a little below your boil kettle.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
gpfeifer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalk02 View Post
I have my plate chiller set up to use gravity and it works amazing! Since you don't have a rig I would just build a stand out of 2x4's and mount it a little below your boil kettle.
Cool. Thanks. Does it matter how it is mounted (horizontal/vertical)?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

vertical is better. in on top out on the bottom. if its not cooling well enough us something to slow the flow.