Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Stainless steel question

Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
baer19d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stainless steel question

What kind of stainless steel are beer kegs made of? Is it 304 stainless? Also does anyone know if a flux core wire is made for this kind of stainless and if so where can I buy it? Thanks, Mike

Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I wouldn't weld a keg with flux core wire you really need to back gas your welds when you weld a keg it will make a mess on the inside otherwise.

Pat

Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
I wouldn't weld a keg with flux core wire you really need to back gas your welds when you weld a keg it will make a mess on the inside otherwise.

Pat

I agree. Also most kegs are made of 304L stainless.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Dwain
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had to go to a couple of different welding supply places to find the wire.

Reason: new thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
hooks
Recipes 

316L filler wire will work for you also...

my grain mill

Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 318 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I am trying to put a couple in a keggle using a propane torch and some silver solder prepping it with some liquid flux.

I don't have the ability to tig weld so I thought this should work for stainless steel. What do you think?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I am trying to put a couple in a keggle using a propane torch and some silver solder prepping it with some liquid flux.

I don't have the ability to tig weld so I thought this should work for stainless steel. What do you think?
Silver soldering absolutely works providing you have the right flux and your torch gets hot enough.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Silver soldering absolutely works providing you have the right flux and your torch gets hot enough.
Well I went to the welding shop as I had to refill the CO2 anyways. I got a kit with liquid flux and a small amount of solder. I told the workers silver solder and that is what they gave me so who knows.

I have this torch:

I got a blue tank with it but it sounds like I should get the yellow tank for this job.

MG9 - 16.92 oz. Fat Boy Max Power Propylene Fuel Cylinder (MG9)

* Ideal for medium to heavy soldering and brazing
* Flame temperature in air = 3600 F
* 20% more fuel (than standard 14.1 oz cylinders)
* Recyclable
* Lower profile

Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

I have used the SafetySilv 55% silver- no cadmium type silver brazing material for thin wall stainless connections, the lower silver percentages will often contain toxic levels of cadmium as an alloy component to reduce melt temperature. You will need StaySilv flux to go with the silver filler material, a white paste that you apply to both the inside and outside of work area to keep metal from discoloring. The Mapp gas torch is more than adequate for the silver brazing, the main thing to watch for is keeping the metal temperature no hotter than the dark red color, hotter and the chrome starts to oxidize and will not accept solder. If you overheat an area, cool it down and sandpaper it back to clean metal, apply paste, and try again. If you have the top from keggle conversion, practice on that then do the keggle.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
I have used the SafetySilv 55% silver- no cadmium type silver brazing material for thin wall stainless connections, the lower silver percentages will often contain toxic levels of cadmium as an alloy component to reduce melt temperature. You will need StaySilv flux to go with the silver filler material, a white paste that you apply to both the inside and outside of work area to keep metal from discoloring. The Mapp gas torch is more than adequate for the silver brazing, the main thing to watch for is keeping the metal temperature no hotter than the dark red color, hotter and the chrome starts to oxidize and will not accept solder. If you overheat an area, cool it down and sandpaper it back to clean metal, apply paste, and try again. If you have the top from keggle conversion, practice on that then do the keggle.
I am beginning to think I was sold the wrong type of solder. I remember it saying contains no silver yet all this stuff says that it should while working with stainless steel.

Is there any main chain store I may have that would sell Harris products like StaySilv and SafetySilv?