British Ale pressures and serving pressures.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
I have brewed Fuggles IPA kit from midwestsupplies. 1 week in primary, 1 week secondary, and will do 1 week in keg for forced carbonating tomorrow.

According to my clone book, British Ales are to be served between 50-55 degrees F for best flavor. Should I force carb at a lower temp then raise it to serving temp slowly? Should my force carb pressure be the same as my serving pressure?

I have no clue about kegging. I'm guessing it would be hard to keg and stay true to a cask conditioned British ale. By definition they are not kegged under pressure with CO2. That's not to say it won't still taste great. For best flavour serve at 55F. If you find that the taste is not quite up to snuff, then drop the temp a bit from there.

As I said, I have no clue about kegging, I bottle my bitters, and as bottling is essentially the same as cask conditioned they taste just like a hand drawn pint in an English pub (Finally!! After a LOT of messing with the recipe. :D)

I'm not trying to be picky or criticise forced carbing. It's just that these are the ales I grew up with, so I am very anal about getting the right feel from my own brews. If you are trying to be true to style, then definitely look at David 42's linky to gain perspective not on technical know how, but more on the soul and spirit behind a "real ale"

Good luck with it! :)

What is your recipe? I am looking for great bitter, full of flavor.

What is your recipe? I am looking for great bitter, full of flavor.

My recipe, you mean? Sorry....I will be brewing it again tommorow to test my consistency. I won't be putting it out on the interwebz until I can repeat it. I will also be doing another experiment on the same day. If that works out equal or better.......Well then i have started a never ending chain. :(

However, I am very bloody pleased with the prototype!! :D

Back