hops poppin' in jersey! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > hops poppin' in jersey!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
wrangler
Recipes 

Mar 2008
cliffside park, nj

noticed on saturday afternoon that my 2nd year nuggets were sprouting. they survived the winter!
Bottle Conditioning: nada
Drinking: O.G.G. E.S.B., Isabella's Power Hour IPA v3.0, Sunday Song Stout
Cellared: Home-Grown Nugget Pale Ale, Isabella's Power Hour IPA v2.0, Tangelo Hefeweizen, Isabella's Power Hour IPA, DoubleHop ESP ExtraSpecialPorter
Distant Memory: Lady Chesapeake Brown Ale, First Pale Ale, Grandpa's Irish Stout

Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

No joke, some of the sprouts on my 3rd year Chinook are 10" long already and there are about 30 of them. Cascade and Centennial are not far behind. I've got to make some time to get them out of pots and into the ground.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
magnj
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Central Jersey
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine are popping too in the planters, waiting a few more weeks before I put them outside for good though

Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
seabeejared
Recipes 

Feb 2009
colts neck nj

Yep. The cascade and northern brewers are pushing up. Waiting for the willamette and magnum. I will put them outside probably next week.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
rsmith179

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Cleveland, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You guys don't have to keep your hops in containers do you? I know that the winters can be harsh up here, but I was planning on planting my new rhizomes directly into the ground after the first frost this year. Have you noticed better performance by allowing them time to takeoff inside before bringing them out for good? Is that performance worth the less root space they have? I'm really torn right now between containers and a more "permanent" space for the hops.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

Mine are all in pots but they've been outside all winter.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
wrangler
Recipes 

Mar 2008
cliffside park, nj

stuck my nuggets in the ground last year about this time when they arrived. they apparently did just fine over the winter
Bottle Conditioning: nada
Drinking: O.G.G. E.S.B., Isabella's Power Hour IPA v3.0, Sunday Song Stout
Cellared: Home-Grown Nugget Pale Ale, Isabella's Power Hour IPA v2.0, Tangelo Hefeweizen, Isabella's Power Hour IPA, DoubleHop ESP ExtraSpecialPorter
Distant Memory: Lady Chesapeake Brown Ale, First Pale Ale, Grandpa's Irish Stout

Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
magnj
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Central Jersey
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
You guys don't have to keep your hops in containers do you? I know that the winters can be harsh up here, but I was planning on planting my new rhizomes directly into the ground after the first frost this year. Have you noticed better performance by allowing them time to takeoff inside before bringing them out for good? Is that performance worth the less root space they have? I'm really torn right now between containers and a more "permanent" space for the hops.
Mine are in pots because it was still freezing at night when I got my Rhizomes. As soon as I find a weekend to do it I will get them in the ground. I'm a little concerned about transplanting them but it was my only option at the time.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Mine have finally come up. Cascades and Fuggles first, as always. Had another freeze this morning though, makes for slow growth. Need to get new twine hooked up, but I figure I have two months.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Bittertooth
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Newport, RI

My Cascades have about 2 or 3 inches of new shoots popping out of the ground. Planted 'em last spring but got no cones last year. Hoping for a first crop this year.
Bottled: Big Brown Nugget
Bottled: Galena Imperial Stout
Bottled: Tripppel