Sam Adams Triple Bock- ewwww! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sam Adams Triple Bock- ewwww!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
BlackDogBrewing
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Slatington, PA
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Recently I did a beer swap with a buddy in Nebraska, I'm in Pennsylvania, via my father-in-law that was out visiting. One thing he sent back which I was really looking forward to trying was the Sam Adams Triple Bock...
I couldn't even fish it, it smelled and tasted like soy sauce. It was gross. I had to dump the thing. It was just plain nasty. This stuff was last realeased in 1997 as far as I can tell. There was no date stamp on the bottle. I love barleywines, but this just doesn't do it for me.
Everything else he sent was awesome.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

May 2007
San Diego, CA
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

You should ask your friend if he put it in there as a joke. Seriously one of the worst things ever. I hear it is good as a marinade though.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

I had one last year. My experience was no different.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

Never tried the stuff myself, but I thoroughly enjoyed this description.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

May 2007
San Diego, CA
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

The Sam Adams Double Bock is a different story. You should try it.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
drinkabeergle
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an unopened bottle of this in my cellar. Yeah, never gonna be drinking it unless I'm playing a joke on a friend.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
BlackDogBrewing
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Slatington, PA
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
You should ask your friend if he put it in there as a joke. Seriously one of the worst things ever. I hear it is good as a marinade though.
I sent him an email asking just this, His response was "I'm glad I was able to pawn another bottle of that stuff off" Apparently he bought a fair amount of it and is trying to unload the garbage... Normally I like Sam Adams products, good but not great, but this stuff is undrinkable. I actually managed to finish about half before dumping it down the drain. SWMBO laughed as I cringed to drink that much.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2436 Times on 1347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDogBrewing View Post
Recently I did a beer swap with a buddy in Nebraska, I'm in Pennsylvania, via my father-in-law that was out visiting. One thing he sent back which I was really looking forward to trying was the Sam Adams Triple Bock...
I couldn't even fish it, it smelled and tasted like soy sauce. It was gross. I had to dump the thing. It was just plain nasty. This stuff was last realeased in 1997 as far as I can tell. There was no date stamp on the bottle. I love barleywines, but this just doesn't do it for me.
Everything else he sent was awesome.
Ya, 1st time I tried one I was expecting all the sweet, malty goodness of a doppel bock, with even more of everything that makes a doppel bock so good... Boy was I wrong! I thought the stuff had turned & spat it in the sink! About a month later I had a chance to sample another (different brand) and it wasn't quite as nasty, but that's like saying pneumonia isn't quite as bad as whooping cough. I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying a bottle of that stuff. Regards, GF.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
TurboBrew
Recipes 

Dec 2007

So did the stuff sour in the bottle over time? Surely Sam Adams wouldn't have put a beer that foul on the shelves.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrew View Post
So did the stuff sour in the bottle over time? Surely Sam Adams wouldn't have put a beer that foul on the shelves.
I don't know about that.....They Market Cherry Wheat and Cranberry Lambic.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com