Where to put excess beer when transferring to secondary.. - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where to put excess beer when transferring to secondary..

Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
arover
Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I'm moving my cream ale over to secondary tomorrow to brew a new batch. I currently face a dilemma, however, since I overdid the water on that batch by about 1.5 gallons. My secondary is 5 gallons, so I'm trying to decide what to do with the excess beer. My bottling bucket is a 5 gallon homer (home depot) bucket, and I have read speculation as to whether it is truly food grade or not. If you were in my shoes, what would you do- transfer the excess, add some priming sugar, and bottle it (it's been in primary for a little over two weeks)? Or leave it to settle out in the bottling bucket, and hope I don't get some off flavors due to any number of things that cheap plastic could possibly do to a beer.

Also, the only sugars for priming I have beyond that which came with the kit, are brown sugar and pure cane sugar (In The Raw brand). Which should I go for?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
giligson
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Vancouver Area - Canada
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

1) Get some food grade bottles for the excess - 2liter pop bottles, one gallon cider jugs (these are very useful in general) or really really well washed out one gallon milk jugs.
2) you can't bottle until you hit a stable FG or you may wind up overcarbed (in the worst case expoding bottles)
use table sugar to prime if you dont have dextrose.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
arover
Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What about the one gallon plastic jugs they sell spring water in? I have about 4 empty ones, all of which have only had....spring water in them.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Bert
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Southbridge, Ma

If I know I have excess I usually fill a growler and prime it.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arover View Post
What about the one gallon plastic jugs they sell spring water in? I have about 4 empty ones, all of which have only had....spring water in them.
Bottom line when it comes to plastic, #1 and #2 are 100% safe. #7 is up to personal preference, mostly because of the possible health risks associated with bisephenol a. Some of us will still use #7, some won't.

Oh, by the way, those Homer buckets are #2, and are totally safe.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
jds

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Littleton, CO
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I agree with Yooper. Skip the secondary, and bottle the whole schmear one or two weeks from now.

I do have the same problem when racking to keg -- I often have 'extra' beer that won't fit in the keg. The extra goes into a 2l bottle with a carb cap, so I can force carb it and drink it. The 2l usually carbonates within a day or two, so I can drink it while waiting for the keg to stabilize. No reason you couldn't do the same thing, just with priming sugar.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
HSM

Recipes 

Jan 2009
McMurray, PA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
If I know I have excess I usually fill a growler and prime it.

Generally bad advice. Growlers are not pressure bottles. I have a growing collection of swing top bottles, that's where my excess goes (usually 2 16's per batch) and I prime with 1tsp of sugar.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Skipping secondary is a good idea (unless you want to fill up primary with another batch).

I also agree with the 1 gallon cidar jugs. Great to have around for any number of uses, but I really like to take out a gallon from every batch and do something weird to it.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

May 2008
Springfield, MA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM View Post
Generally bad advice. Growlers are not pressure bottles. I have a growing collection of swing top bottles, that's where my excess goes (usually 2 16's per batch) and I prime with 1tsp of sugar.
I see this often, but what about the breweries who sell 64 oz. jugs at the liquor store. They have a sediment layer and I think are bottle conditioned. Although they do have screw on caps witch I think lose there seal after they are opened.