how long is too long in secondary? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how long is too long in secondary?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
ahoym8e
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Posts: 177


I have one in secondary (AAPA) going on 2 weeks, and it's still bubbling every 10-20 seconds or so. I also have a bunch of dry hop hops sitting in there around the neck of the carboy.

Do I need to get it out of there soon, or is it ok for another week?

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoym8e
I have one in secondary (AAPA) going on 2 weeks, and it's still bubbling every 10-20 seconds or so. I also have a bunch of dry hop hops sitting in there around the neck of the carboy.

Do I need to get it out of there soon, or is it ok for another week?

Thanks
get "what" out of "where"?

Did you mean "get the beer out of the secondary" or "get the dry hops out of the beer"?

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


I keep lagers in carboys for 2-3 months...what do you think?
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
ahoym8e
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Posts: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
get "what" out of "where"?

Did you mean "get the beer out of the secondary" or "get the dry hops out of the beer"?

-walker
LOL yeah, good point. been sampling a bottled project, so sorry.

I have this aapa in a secondary fermenter at about 72 degrees. Do I need to get it out soon at this temp, or is it ok for a while still?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoym8e
LOL yeah, good point. been sampling a bottled project, so sorry.

I have this aapa in a secondary fermenter at about 72 degrees. Do I need to get it out soon at this temp, or is it ok for a while still?
In general, beer is fine to leave in a secondary for a loooong time. Think in terms of years.

The dry-hopping might make things different. Some people have claimed that leaving the hops in too long (and I don't remember HOW long this means) leads to a grassy flavor in the beer. But, I can neither confirm or deny that.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #6

I would leave it alone. You have a 2ndary that's still active and therefore the hops still have a job to do. You should be able to go 30 days without any worries. The hops at this point are mostly for aroma.

The grassiness possibility depends on what variety you used. Also how fresh the hops are at hopping. I would think grassiness would be imparted more from a lack of sanitation rather than sitting there too long. There is contamination risk with dry hopping and can be abated with a 5 minute steaming. Like one would do with cauliflower or broccoli if they are whole leaf. Dry pressed - not an issue.

Don't worry about it. Again, I would leave it be, unless the airlock gets clogged. The risk is greater fiddling with it rather than letting it do its thing.

Good Luck!
__________________
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


Leave it alone, unless you keg. Bottling before the fermentation stops is begging for bombs.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
subwyking
 
subwyking's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
West Omaha, NE
Posts: 438
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
In general, beer is fine to leave in a secondary for a loooong time. Think in terms of years.

The dry-hopping might make things different. Some people have claimed that leaving the hops in too long (and I don't remember HOW long this means) leads to a grassy flavor in the beer. But, I can neither confirm or deny that.

-walker
ahhhh.... this is a good post for me to get back in the game. i feel rusty. i totally agree with walker and everyone else. we have had an irish ale in a secondary for about 2 months now. i had surgery and spent a lot of time in physical therapy. i can finally walk without my brace, so ive been trying to get back in the beer biz. i tasted the ale last night and it was glorious. youll be fine.
__________________
Brewing as often as life will let me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
dancingbarefoot
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Posts: 326

I'm glad this came up, because I needed some reassurance that brewing a batch this month and then leaving it for months would be ok. I'll brew it, get it in the secondary, and leave it until I get home for Christmas vacation. The only bad part is that I won't get to drink it for months!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long is too long in a secondary for a wheat beer? newbeerpig Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 09-26-2011 05:49 PM
Left in primary too long, how long in secondary? BrownAle4Me Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 10-15-2009 07:54 PM
How Long is too Long in secondary? efreem01 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 07-20-2008 09:48 PM
How long is too long in the Secondary. Shahn Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 03-07-2008 09:09 PM
How long is too long in secondary? Blaine Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 11-01-2007 12:55 PM


Forum Jump