Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Temperature Control

Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
jescholler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Temperature Control

I'm currently fermenting my 1st batch. My wife is complaining that we're wasting energy because I'm keeping our temperature constant at 67F. The recipe kit I used called for 64-74F. Normally, when we're not home or sleeping, we will turn our thermostat down to 60F and have it at 66F when we're home and awake. Since the beer needs to be above 64, we can't do that.

My question is, what does everyone here do for situations like this? Surely my wife isn't the only one to complain and ale yeast typically likes to be near 70F. I'm an electrical engineer, so I wouldn't mind designing a regulated thermal chamber...

Oh yeah, my basement temperature is about 60F this time of year, so using the basement without adding any heat is out of the question.

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Old 03-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
stokems
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Make lager...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I simply use a small space heater in the fruit cellar of our basement. Keeps the room at a perfect 70F with the built in thermometer. You should be fine without keeping the house temps at 70F though. The temperature inside your primary is actually a good 5-7F hotter than the ambient temps due to the heat released during fermentation. My first few batches were in the 60 degree basement and came out fine.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same problem here.
I am going to solve this very soon ! I think the easiest is the Son of a Mother Fermentation chamber (search the forums) combined with some heating/cooling elements. I am toying with the idea of making a peltier heater/cooler and placing it in the crawlspace (dry, easy to access, reasonably stable temps most of the year)

Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Your basement, at a constant 60 degrees, is perfect for many strains. The temperature guides on yeast packages are always just estimates, and many yeast strains can work happily below suggested temps. They will ferment a bit slower and you might want to bring them upstairs to finish, but that's where I'd be fermenting were I you.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
jescholler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

To give everyone an update on this topic, I decided that for my next batch I will use a water bath to store my fermenter in (in the basement).

I've already purchased a large (~35 gallon) tote to store the water and an aquarium heater to keep the temperature where I need it.
Amazon.com: Jager 150 W Heater 13 inch UL Approved: Home & Garden

I'm currently using it to carbonate my bottles at 69F and it is rocking out. I'm very pleased. I thought that I might need some sort of a pump to circulate the water to keep the temperature constant throughout the tote. After testing it out, I found that a pump is not necessary and the temperature is within 1 degree F across the tote.

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-22-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
emacgee
Recipes 

Its also good to remember that the temperature of the liquid is going to be a few degrees higher than the ambient environment due to yeast activity etc...

Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I do nothing.

Temp in my apt is always around 70F so I just put it in the corner, away from sunlight, and but a wind breaker over it to keep the light out, and it provides very little insulation.

When summer comes, i will have to concoct something to keep temps down.

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

A very good and very easy (but not the cheapest) solution is a digital temperature controller and a mini fridge or small chest freezer and a heating pad or some other heat source.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Your basement, at a constant 60 degrees, is perfect for many strains. The temperature guides on yeast packages are always just estimates, and many yeast strains can work happily below suggested temps. They will ferment a bit slower and you might want to bring them upstairs to finish, but that's where I'd be fermenting were I you.
+1 You might want to warm it up a bit to finish it off but 70 is too warm for most ale yeast IMO.

bell0347 Likes This