Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Stir Plate Question

Old 03-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
jtucker101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stir Plate Question

Okay, I've searched through several threads, but I can't seem to find an answer.

I've read that when doing a yeast starter, the starter should go in a dark place. To me, this makes sense...if you need to ferment in a dark place, shouldn't your starter also be in a dark place (since you are basically making a mini batch of beer)?

Looking over the threads for the stir plates, though, I don't see any mention of putting the stir plate in a dark place. During a recent visit to a fellow homebrewer's house, I noticed his stir plate was just out in the open, in the middle of the counter.

Is this a concern, or do those of you with stir plates move them to a dark place while they are in use?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Light skunks beer WITH hops in it.

Most starters are extract only and do not have hops and therefore won't skunk.

I still keep mine relatively dark anyway. I set it up in a 5 gallon homer bucket just in case it gets messy and then drape a dishcloth over it.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
jtucker101
Recipes 

so other than keeping bacteria and such out of my flask, I shouldn't have any other worries? (yeah, I'm a nu-bee)

Beer is proof that God loves us (and I can prove that mathematically).

Old 03-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtucker101 View Post
so other than keeping bacteria and such out of my flask, I shouldn't have any other worries? (yeah, I'm a nu-bee)

That's right, light exposure is not an issue when making a starter. The yeast do enjoy classical music though. I always give them whatever they want.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
StoutFan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
The yeast do enjoy classical music though. I always give them whatever they want.
Those controlling b@stards! With the plate in a bucket, does it hinder cooling of the assembly? Mine is home made, and runs a little warm in the open.

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFan View Post
Those controlling b@stards! With the plate in a bucket, does it hinder cooling of the assembly? Mine is home made, and runs a little warm in the open.
I haven't had any temp issues but my study has become my fermentation room and it stays around 68-70. I had one foam over and that is why I use the bucket. I still use tin foil over the flask and then the dish cloth over the bucket keeps out light and most airborne particles from the window a/c unit.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
StoutFan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

hmmm..... sounds interesting. TO HD!

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Room temperature is ideal. High temps can cause problems with some of the yeast mutating or something like that I read about it recently. Higher temps will speed up reproduction, but the yeast may not be as healthy as those propagated at more moderate temps.

I keep my stir plate out in the open and use a foam stopper. I've also found that using some foam control greatly reduces foaming problems both when boiling the wort and when fermenting.

As for keeping the unit in a bucket, a lot depends on the ambient temp. I run mine in an unheated garage so overheating is not a problem. Just the opposite for me and I use a heat lamp to keep it warm in the cool seasons.