Corking Belgians? HELP - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Corking Belgians? HELP

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Whisler85
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Lake Bluff, Illinois
Posts: 191
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



i have been making a lot of belgians lately and would like them to be carbonated to high volumes, but i am loathe to do this in standard beer bottles.

I can easily get my hands on plenty of used belgian/new champagne bottles, but despite hours of internet searching i cant seem to which corks to use. some sites offer beer or champagne corks, but they dont appear to be tapered or oddly shaped and im having trouble comparing their (metric) sizes to those of the corks my LHBS sells

does anyone cork their belgians? where do you source the corks? what different sizes of bottles and corks do you use?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
brewstead
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Posts: 17

Try williams brewing they are pricey but i know they Belgian bottles, cork, and wire baskets



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Orangevango
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 596
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Belgian corks are not tapered until they are put into the bottle, they require a special corker to compress the straight sided cork while pushing it into the neck of the bottle. It does add a ton of class to your beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Alexandria, VA, USA
Posts: 2,057
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisler85 View Post
i have been making a lot of belgians lately and would like them to be carbonated to high volumes, but i am loathe to do this in standard beer bottles.

I can easily get my hands on plenty of used belgian/new champagne bottles, but despite hours of internet searching i cant seem to which corks to use. some sites offer beer or champagne corks, but they dont appear to be tapered or oddly shaped and im having trouble comparing their (metric) sizes to those of the corks my LHBS sells

does anyone cork their belgians? where do you source the corks? what different sizes of bottles and corks do you use?

Northern Brewer carries everything you need for corking and caging Belgians. You do need a floor corker, which is not cheap (somewhere in the $100-$200 range if I remember right).
__________________
On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
PseudoChef
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,406
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts


+1 to what Orangevango has said. Corks aren't tapered until they are in the bottle. You'll need a floor corker. I know my LHBS rents theirs out for about $10/day...if you have a shop nearby that has one, it won't hurt to ask.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Danek
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Sheffield, UK
Posts: 1,275
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


For champagne bottles I think you can get plastic corks and wire cages that don't require any special corking equipment. Might be a bit cheaper than the alternative, though it would be a little less classy.
__________________
Bottle conditioning: Pliny the Elder clone; Tramp's Overcoat Barley Wine
Next up: Vanilla Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
bikefoolery
Cycling + Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Santa Maria, CA
Posts: 67
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


A floor corker is not necessary, I use a Colona capper/corker (around $70), which allows the corking action needed for the belgian mushroom cork look. I also like the Colona for regular capping as well.

Here is a guide I used when I was learning:

SLO Brewer Corking Belgians

You may also want to search this forum for "corking" and get more tips.

Best of luck.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Alexandria, VA, USA
Posts: 2,057
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefoolery View Post
A floor corker is not necessary, I use a Colona capper/corker (around $70), which allows the corking action needed for the belgian mushroom cork look. I also like the Colona for regular capping as well.
Colonna capper/corker _is_ a floor corker. I've heard great things about them and am considering buying one.

For a hand corker, the Gilda style is your best bet for corking Belgians (or Champagne bottles).
__________________
On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
bikefoolery
Cycling + Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Santa Maria, CA
Posts: 67
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Colonna capper/corker _is_ a floor corker.
Interesting, I thought that because it sits on a bench while in use it would have been a bench corker, not a floor corker. Learn something new every day.

tennesseean_87 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Got Trub?
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Washington State
Posts: 1,538
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefoolery View Post
Interesting, I thought that because it sits on a bench while in use it would have been a bench corker, not a floor corker. Learn something new every day.
They are frequently the same jaws and mechanism, just with a shorter base. I'm curious do you need to bolt yours down or just place it on the bench?

GT



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corking Belgians wtwerner Bottling/Kegging 17 09-07-2009 12:40 AM
Corking Help..... mikeyc Bottling/Kegging 2 08-13-2009 04:44 AM
Corking DuffmanAK Mead Forum 6 12-23-2008 08:16 PM
Bottling Belgians left field brewer Bottling/Kegging 2 02-13-2008 03:31 AM
Corking? berkeleybrew Bottling/Kegging 3 06-19-2006 04:07 PM


Forum Jump