Two Tier System Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustguy

Reaction score
I have some scratch burning a hole in my pocket so I have decided to build a Two Tier System. Time or lack thereof is my enemy so I am cutting a few corners. I do weld but decided to purchase the stand from the Brew-Magic System. This should save me alot of time. It was less than $1000 and a big time savings. I have attached some documents for you to peruse. I am going on a 3 week business trip but have a week off when I come back so the physical build will happen then. I welcome any comments.

Click here to view the Brewery Parts List: http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/webimages/Brewery Major Parts List.htm

Black Dog Brewery Rev 1.gif

RHWH.gif

Brew Magic 1.jpg

Where did ya find the 1500W low density elements? Or is that a 6000W 240VAC element running on 120VAC?

Any reason not to make it all electric since you are already setting up the electric RIMS?

I'm not a RIMS exchanger guru so I thought I would ask, is it best to regulate the element based on the output of the exchanger, not the input. No?

Good question. I have been read some posts here that say I should regulate at the output and read some posts that say I should regulate at the input. I was hoping the more experienced members like yourself would chime in and help me decide which way is correct.

I'm not a RIMS exchanger guru so I thought I would ask, is it best to regulate the element based on the output of the exchanger, not the input. No?

You are exactly right, you want to measure the temp. of the output only... the input is irrelevent. The input could be 145F... while the output is 160F... if your target is 155F, you can see the problem. The PID needs to meausure the output of the heater, not the input.

You always want to measure what you are doing, not what you are about to do...

Any reason not to make it all electric since you are already setting up the electric RIMS?

Another good question. I would have loved to go all electric but my service in the house is only 125 amp. With the electric stove, electric dryer, central air etc. I don't want to push it. I figure another 12.5 amps wouldn't be too bad but if I ran a couple of 3000 watt elements at the same time as some of the higher draw appliances, I would be tempting fate especially during the summer months.

You are exactly right, you want to measure the temp. of the output only... the input is irrelevent. The input could be 145F... while the output is 160F... if your target is 155F, you can see the problem. The PID needs to meausure the output of the heater, not the input.

You always want to measure what you are doing, not what you are about to do...

Thanks gents. It is easy to turn it around and make the change now before the brewery is built.

Well that explains it... yeah we have 200A service here so there wasnt much issue. You do what you gotta do... all electric is nice, but yes, it uses some juice for sure.

Man you guys make me jealous..... 60amp service, my meter is 1949 vintage. I keep hoping the power company will eventually be forced by the govmt to upgrade their ancient equipment... Apparently its only like 6-7grand to upgrade the meter hahaha. At least my panel and all the wiring in the house is up to date...

Looks great! My only question is will you be able to use a pump for moving liquid out of the BK? What if you want to move liquid farther away, or faster, or whirlpool, etc.? Just a thought.

:mug:

Looks great! My only question is will you be able to use a pump for moving liquid out of the BK? What if you want to move liquid farther away, or faster, or whirlpool, etc.? Just a thought.

:mug:

Ahhhhh......Good man. You were reading my mind. I am comtemplating getting one more pump. I think I can eek out another $130 without drawing too much attention from SWMBO.

Man you guys make me jealous..... 60amp service, my meter is 1949 vintage. I keep hoping the power company will eventually be forced by the govmt to upgrade their ancient equipment... Apparently its only like 6-7grand to upgrade the meter hahaha. At least my panel and all the wiring in the house is up to date...

here we own the meter pan the only thing the power co owns is the meter and the wire to the house. I have 100 amp right now but I have the 200 amp meter pan and breaker box ready to go. Need 220 in my garage

I leave on Monday for my business trip so tommorrow I will mill the control panel. I am lucky to have access to a Bridgeport milling machine because my next door neighbor owns a machine shop.

Control Panel.gif

Gents,

Here is the Brewery Control Panel Wiring Diagram. If you have any comments or see anything that could be improved don't be bashful.

Black Dog Brewery Control Panel Wiring.gif

I had some time this weekend so I went to my neighbor's machine shop to mill the Control Panel front cover. Here are a couple of pictures.

Control Panel Milling 1.jpg

Control Panel Milling 2.jpg

Control Panel Picture.jpg

What switches are those? Are they the ones from Automation Direct?

I was looking on there and they are only "rated" at 6A @ 130V

Back